Gettin Broadband, question on CAT5 cables

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by My Dixie Wrecked, Mar 30, 2003.

1. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

Can i just buy the category 5e cable ($.15/ft.), and the snapin phone and data jack kit($4.99) instead of buyin a 50' cable from BB when i only need 30'. I just need to know if I'm buyin the right stuff. Thanks.

RadioShack

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

You'll need a punchdown tool to get it into the snapin jack. I didn't see one listed on their site anywhere though.

3. d0rkus

d0rkus I has a booger. OT Supporter

punchdown tool = crimper

the crimper alone cost ~$15bucks i believe

$5 for wire. $5 jacks (very expensive, hope you dont mess up when u crimp it), about ~$15 for crimp = $25
    is that cheaper then the 50ft wire?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I don't suggest a crappy crimper - I'm reuined so many ends it's not funny with substandard crimpers. If you just need one cable, just buy the cable. If you're wiring up your house or multiple cables, then buy the crimper, the ends, the wire...

5. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Cat5 cables are cheap anyway, maybe you'll need the length later on

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

[​IMG]

I've never seen a crimper that will work for one of these jacks, it's usually a punchdown for that, or am I wrong on that?

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:uh: Uh, no. Punchdown tool is not a crimper.

Punchdown tool is a tool that holds a variety of blades used to (are you ready?) punch down conductors onto jacks, M66 telco blocks, 110 style blocks, Krone style jacks, etc etc. I could go on and on.

[​IMG]
    http://www.tecratools.com/pages/telecom/punchdown.html

A crimp tool can be used for multiple different things. If you want to crimp a RJ11, RJ12, RJ45, RJ48 then you grab a telephone ratchet crimper.

[​IMG]
    http://www.tecratools.com/pages/datacom/datacom_crimpers.html

Two TOTALLY different things. Don't even complete the same task.

You can expect to pay over $40 for a cheap quality punchdown tool, and over $30 for a cheap quality crimp tool.

Also, screwing up a punchdown on a jack is reversible. The only way you'll ruin a jack is if you light it on fire or throw it in a lake, and still chances are it may still work. If you mis-wire a jack, you yank the cable out, cut the open conductors, re-strip, and re-terminate. You will not 'ruin' a jack.

You may be thinking of the male PLUGS. A jack and a plug are nothing alike. Plug is male, jack is female.

Jack is what Dan showed, Plug is a RJ45.

unfknrl, I hope you're no longer confused by this mas-posting of incorrect information. ;) BTW - run a search on here for cat5, and you will see what people have paid in the past. I sell Cat5E for about $46+ per thousand. If you want cut pieces, go to Lowes and grab your ankles; they'll take care of you. ;) I think Lowes here is around $.50 per feet (which is equal to $500 per thousand.. ;) )

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I didn't even think of it that way - a 50' cable has male ends on it (assuming he was referring to a patch cable), where a 30' cable with a plug on the end is female, essentially providing you with two different solutions.

Meh...

9. AphidAudio

AphidAudio Guest

some people just shouldnt talk unless they know what they are talking about.

ok, so we already know that he didnt know what he was talking about when he said crimper. a good punch tool will cost you around $70. now this is for a good one. cat5 wire is very cheap. i think i get RJ45 heads for around 10 cents a piece. if you just want to make a long patch cable to run from your broadband modem to your computer just get a few heads and some cable. you dont need a block like you have pictured above.

now if you dont plan on doing anymore cabling in the future i wouldnt worry about trying to make it yourself. you can get patch cables pretty cheap nowadays. or just go down to your local phone store and have them make you a patch cable. wont cost you hardly anything, unless their jackasses.

10. DatacomGuy

:werd: If you stay away from places like Best Buy or Circuit City, it'll be fairly cheap.

You should be able to get them as cheap as $7.00 for a 50'er.

Remember if you are making your own patch cords, use stranded conductors. Solid conductors are for horizontal and cross connect cabling.

11. andrew

andrew Ramona Flowers

My dad just bought 25' for $2.75 and 50' for $4.80 at some computer place today. It was on sale

12. DatacomGuy

Good deal.