German Reliability going down?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dragon1976, Aug 8, 2003.

1. dragon1976

dragon1976 Guest

2. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Personally I've never really bought into the idea of Germany producing the most reliable cars. The best build quality until recently, but never the best reliability.

Partly the German marques have slipped as other manufacturers have worked on improving their reliabilty. Although I do believe that companies such as VW and Mercedes are letting standards slip. I just read reports on the new VW Touran and Touraeg, both of which came under fire for poor quality detailing. Mercedes post Daimler-Chrysler have also let build quality fall.

3. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

:werd: Lexus has created a false standard.

4. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

kinda sad to see German car companies slipping.

back in the 1980's nothing could touch Mercedes for example in terms of reliability. there are still 300E's running around with 300,000+ miles on their clocks and still running strong. and even older cars like the SE's and SEC's are running around with lots of miles but still with tank-like solidness and reliability.

5. nyuaznguy

nyuaznguy Member

Atleast BMW and Mercedes provide free maintenance and fix any problems for free.

My M3 got a brand new transmission b/c they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it till the bmw regional rep tech told them it was a f*cked up flywheel.

6. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

Audi also provides free maintenance for the duration of the warranty, which, at 4 years/50,000 miles, is nothing to sneeze at. The only thing I'll have to pay for is tires. Even the wiper blades that I had replaced this month were free.

7. carlin

carlin Guest

:werd: and they even cover brake pads :eek3: