Here's what happened: Timing chain tensioner started to fail before we picked up the car. Never knowing what the motor sounded like properly, and not knowing about the tensioners failure around 100k miles it was never taken care of... Until 140k miles when it was finally fixed after someone told us it sounded like it was broke. At 145k miles we came around a corner, and the sound of no oil/metal-on-metal contact, within half a second my bro had the engine off. What happened is the timing chain was slowly destroyed, along with all the timing gear. All the bits of the chain fell into the oil pan, though never came out during any of the oil changes strangly enough. The pump sucked up these pieces of chain into the pickup, clogging it atleast a little (we noticed a lifter tick and we feel this may have been it). Oil pump eventually forced the bits of chain thru the pick-up protective screen (which is suprisingly strong. The oil pump housing/timing case cracked and seperated in a few spots, the oil pump itself broke into 6 pieces, the ring on the pump slit into 2. As can be seen, loads and loads of scoring. What the front of the timing case should look like: What my bro's looks like. Notice the crack, about 3-4inches long where the pump is! And notice the lower chain guide, the plastic is completely gone from the mounting post. There is a crack on the other side of the housing as well. Hole in the screen. look on the right you can see the missing piece of housing, fell out once we pulled the casing off the block. The other cracks in the casing I think this is a bit self explanitory. Just to show the damage along with the BMW logo. Also this aluminum part faces the block. The pump is in between it and the block. Personally I hate the design. Why couldn't the casing be cast into the block, and a pump on the other wide, would have been MUCH easier to service, and wouldn't require replacing a $300 aluminum casing. Close up: The car is a 1991 BMW 318is, with the Cast Iron block/Aluminum head M42 DOHC 1.8 litre engine. While pulling this thing apart, nearly every bolt on it that hadn't been touched since new, were barely considered tight (just enought that you couldn't get them loose by hand). If we were to purchase all the parts new to fix this would be well over $1500 for the absolute minimum parts. I hate to see what labor is. If this is the Poor mans M3 fuck the real one. edit: cost.