A&P Geo-encoding

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ericande, Jul 29, 2007.

1. ericande

ericande Active Member

What are the options for encoding pictures' EXIF with location data?

I use smugmug and I can manually type in addresses or lat/long but that isn't exactly fast if I have a set of 100 shots. I understand some cameras have GPS built-in but I don't want to buy a new camera and plus those aren't DSLRs.

What I'd ideally like to have is a GPS that just tracked me (breadcrumb mode or whatever) and software that could match those 'breadcrumbs' to the EXIF data in a folder of pictures. Then it could match times to put lat/long data in all the pics. Is there anything out there like that? Any other cool options?

I take long motorcycle rides and it'd be cool to put something like that on my website.

2. Hippy

Hippy New Member

just use a standalone gps and a journal to keep track. or u could skip the journal and just make a waypoint entry and then go back and use the time/date to match stuff up

3. ericande

ericande Active Member

That still means me typing in 100 or whatever GPS entries. It's also too much work to jot it down when I stop to take a quick pic.

I'm looking for something automated.

4. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I thought some cameras have bluetooth that link with a bluetooth capable GPS, and i think the camera can put the coordinates into the exif data.

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

6. wisie

wisie New Member

7. ericande

ericande Active Member

Man, that's it. That seems like it'll do exactly what I want. $130, not bad for software and GPS.