gentoo or kubuntu

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Sep 8, 2007.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Buying a new linux test machine. Gonna be a laptop.

Normally I would buy a Lenovo ThinkPad and be done with it, but since it's explicitly for *nix, I need to put it into special consideration.....

Don't suggest a MacBook, their specs are too "meh" for me (specifically the shitty keyboard and lackluster screen). The Macbook Pro would work great, but it's too much money for what you get -- and being a business purchase I gotta justify costs, here.

So: For those of you with linux-laptop experience... Recommended me your best notebook system. I will consider Toshiba, HP, Gateway, Dell, etc. (yea I know, all the brands I normally hate) under the condition that they have awsome linux support (such as the media card readers work, etc).

Or should I just get a Lenovo T60 and call it a day?

Requirements: Dual cores, discrete graphics, >900 lines vertical resolution, widescreen, glossy screen, dvd±rw, expresscard/pcmcia expansion, tv-out. EVERYTHING must be linux-supported on it. So no non-functioning hardware. This includes getting really good battery life IN LINUX.

I have bad stories with an asus and linux. Worked great, performed well... But cpu fan would always be 100% because the cpu was always 100% and battery life sucked. Dual-boot back to XP and things were great.

SOOOOOOO Here's your chance to maybe get me to buy something that isn't IBM.

And in your same post, I would like to know your recommendation between Gentoo or Kubuntu. It's a dev box.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

The ThinkPads run Linux just fine. The guys I worked with at the university bought a couple of X41's when they got discontinued, and I believe everything works under Linux except the fingerprint scanners.

We got my GF an HP and everything on it worked out of the box under Ubuntu. Wireless, the media keys, everything. I was impressed with that.

I think you know where I stand on Gentoo vs. *buntu.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes. Although I have in past been a hardcore gentoo fan, I think the ease of re-imaging a *buntu system, as well as how main-stream they have become will be benefitial in this day where dependencies are simply a nightmere between different distros -- if It's made on *buntu, it's more likely to work without too much hassle on more systems.

4. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I say Gentoo+Fluxbox. KDE is huge

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the only wms considered will be kde/gnome/xfce. Leaning heavily towards kde at this point.

6. hurleyint1386

Then instead of Fluxbox, do XFCE. KDE is just a huge hoag. Another one to consider is I believe WMI. My friend was showing it to me, and it seems pretty cool.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

this is not the topic of the thread. I will consider xfce but kde has a 80% chance of being the primary wm.

So is the consensus just to get a Thinkpad?

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Had one friend that put Kbuntu on his HP and loved it. One of my profs put it on his dell inspirion with regular ubuntu and he didn't have any probs. Personally tho, I've never messed with it.

9. hurleyint1386

Yes. Ive had over 15 ThinkPads over the summer, and more than half were running either Ubuntu or Gentoo. However if you're looking for a more minimalist linux, you want Gentoo. Ubuntu is great for a beginner.

10. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Macbook

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

definitely will NOT be a macbook. The black one is too expensive. The white one is too ugly. The keyboard fucking sucks bad. The graphics suck. The screen is very dim, not vibrant, and has horribly shitty resolution.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've got a coworker running linux on his Thinkpad, and he's had no fan problems or anything like that.

I think you'd like Kubuntu a lot after using it heavily for a few days. It's just so easy to do anything on it. And if you need to run commands as root, just start off with "sudo su" and you're in.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:ugh: sudo su is NOT specific to kde.

14. hurleyint1386

:rofl: how do you do it in any other distro?

15. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

sudo has an -s option for running a shell, just for trivia.

KDE has a "Root Terminal" menu item, iirc.

Ubuntu 7.10 should be out in October 27 just to let ya know, beta before 3 weeks. I like Ubuntu, haven't used Gentoo much. Now sure if Kubuntu will be behind ubuntu with this next release.

16. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 on my desktop and love it. I only turn to XP for gaming. I put it on my Toshiba laptop and everything worked perfectly right away.

17. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

gentoo w/ xfce4, of course.

18. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

I'm a newb to linux, even though I'm using it. lol, what is the difference in window managers and how they work? I'm using GNOME right now, but what makes XFCE or KDE better?

19. hurleyint1386

it's all preference. kde and gnome are great for beginners because everything is built in, so you can do a lot more with them, however they use more resources than fluxbox/xfce. linux users generally use the operating system for an optimized computer to suite their needs, and if you've got a large window manager (ie. kde or gnome) then it's using more resources than needed.

anyone correct me if im wrong on that

20. deusexaethera

DID I SAY IT WAS??

All I said is that's the command you'd use.

Jackass.

21. deusexaethera

See above.

EDIT: The issue was not whether he could run as root in any other distro, the issue is that *ubuntu doesn't let you log in as root, so you have to use "sudo su". I was just refreshing his memory.