Gentoo installation - Day 2

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hurleyint1386, Aug 21, 2007.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

This is my first time installing Gentoo on my own, and it's taking a while. Many people have told me that it's no cake walk. All day I've been busy, so all of the work I've done has been either last night, or tonight. I'm really hoping I get this up and running if not by tonight, then at least by tomorrow. Any other Gentoo users? How long did it take you your first try to install it, and how long does it take on average now? Just curious

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

gentoo is easy; takes a long time for a stage-1 install; stage-3 is quick; Should be no probs to get done;

if you want a headache, go do a LFS build.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Step 1: reformat hard drive.
    Step 2: dispose of Gentoo CD.
    Step 3: install Kubuntu.

Done!

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

gentoo > kubuntu;

5. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

word.

gentoo is a more minimalist os than kubuntu.

6. deusexaethera

Yeah, cause nobody likes features.

Say what you want about the relatively bloated nature of *ubuntu, but I can set it up with zero effort and KDE/GNOME will let me put icons on my desktop like I expect to be able to. Menus are great if you have a ton of options, the command line is great if you actually know the special abbreviation for every single command that Linux uses (since including the 'o' and the 'y' in 'copy' would totally slow you down), but for basic shit like opening my home directory, I just want a desktop icon and I don't want to have to think about how to make it work. Drag and drop, folks, drag and drop.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

deuse, that is exactly the point. Kubuntu is linux for morons. You are a moron. For you, kubuntu is perfect and you are very happy with it. For the rest of us, however, we are able to grasp more complex concepts such as building a gentoo distribution, and as a result are able to appreciate other gains not available with kubuntu.

8. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

LOL... I was thinking the same thing...

deuse.. are you still high from last week's amphetamines rush?

any one of the *ubuntu* distros is for simpletons and NOT "bloated" as you say... They are VERY stripped down as a matter of fact...

You want "bloated"... try Suse Linux :rofl:

9. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

yea, because people don't want to spend 3 days setting up an operating system they're a moron :ugh:

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

even with windows and unbuntu it takes several days to get the os how you like it.

11. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

i usually have windows set up how i want it in under 3 hours :hsughno:

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

with all your apps? Don't think so. Unless you don't do much with the machine.

13. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

LOL!

How the fuck is Ubuntu bloated, anyhow? It's ONE CD! One of few modern OSes to fit on a single CD (rather than DVD).
    I've built more LFS systems than I care to remember. I'm running UBUNTU. LFS is great for the learning experience, but after a point it's a waste of my valuable time. Ubuntu or KUbuntu is NOT for morons, you fool. They're all good. Are you stupid or something?

14. deusexaethera

I didn't do fantastically well in my programming class senior year where we each had to build a multi-tasking OS from scratch, but I did get my C+. So I think I'm qualified to operate Gentoo. I just don't give a shit.

*ubuntu isn't linux people who don't have the capacity to understand how an OS works. *ubuntu is linux for people who don't care how an OS works, or who don't care about tweaking it to the nth degree. I turn it on, it does its job. I have better things to do with my time than to fuck around with anything more complicated than selecting which services I want to run on bootup.

15. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

i save every setup file i know i'm gonna want after a format, it makes it real easy to remember what programs you had, and to install them if there isn't a newer version available :dunno:

16. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

couldn't agree more, now that I actually work with computers all day, the last thing i want to do is fuck around with them when i get home. I've had a crashed hard drive in my desktop at home all summer, but i don't care anywhere near enough to spend the time to fix it :o

17. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I ran Gentoo for a while and have ran the buntus as well. My final result is that I don't use Linux for anything other than the cool factor. My productivity is much higher in Windows and the Linux software just isn't as good. With modern computers, I really saw no reason to use Gentoo other than the satisfaction of being able to set it up. That was actually the fun part. Once it was working I was still stuck in Linux...

I don't really have much use for Linux. And XP works fine...