Gentoo Install/Kernel woes and frustrations

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by korrupshun, Jan 9, 2005.

1. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

today is the seventh day trying to fix this problem, the gentoo forums have been of no help (all similar issues were resolved either with a solution that doesnt help me, or without the resolution posted)....i am at a complete loss, so if anyone can help i would be very greatful

history: the first attempt to install everything went well (except a small grub glitch that i worked out later)....until, that is, i attempted to emerge Xorg, wm's, etc. Every compilation would crap out with a different error each time...after working with USE and CFLAGS as much as i could i finally threw up my hands and began a reinstall. :squint:

now comes the trial and tribulation: install goes like clockwork until i get to the kernel compilation (after several hand built kernels failing, i decided it would be easier to just do a genkernel each time rather than tailor make my own each time, and then once i had a running system build one up, sadly i was mistaken, the problem persisted despite it being a GENeric KERNEL :wtf: )

[drumroll] and the problem is: [/drumroll]

Code:
    -march=i586  -DMODULE  -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=neofb  -c -o neofb.o neofb.c
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586  -DMODULE  -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=clgenfb  -c -o clgenfb.o clgenfb.c
    rm -f sisfb.o
    ld -e stext  -r -o sisfb.o sis_main.o init.o init301.o sis_accel.o
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/drivers/video/sis'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/drivers/video'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/drivers'
    * Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 3.1.0c
    * ERROR: Failed to compile the "modules" target...
    * -- Grepping log... --
    * -- End log... --
    * Please consult /var/log/genkernel.log for more information and any
    * errors that were reported above.
    * Report any genkernel bugs to bugs.gentoo.org and
    * assign your bug to [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]. Please include
    * as much information as you can in your bug report; attaching
    * /var/log/genkernel.log so that your issue can be dealt with effectively.
    * Please do *not* report compilation failures as genkernel bugs!

#MORE SPECIFICALLY, AT THE SHELL I GET:

aty128fb.c: In function 'aty128fb_ioctl':
    aty128fb.c: 2485: warning: unused variable 'fb'
    aty128fb.c: 2486: warning: unused variable 'value'
    aty128fb.c: 2487: warning: unused variable 'rc'
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-sliasing -fno-common -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -DMODULE -I../../scsi/ -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=isd200 -c -o isd200.o isd200.c
    aty128fb.c: At top level:
    aty128fb.c:1066: warning: 'aty128_set_crt_enable' defined but not used
    aty128fb.c:1076: warning: 'aty128_set_lcd_enable' defined but not used
    --
    ld -r -o auerswald.o auerbuf.o auerchain.o auerchar.o auermain.o auerisdn.o auerisdn_b.o
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/drivers/usb'
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/drivers'
    *Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 3.1.0c
    *ERROR: Failed to compile the "modules" target...
    *-- End log...--

i figure this is probably a CFLAG setting, tho i am unsure about that being the case because i have tried nearly every combination i see as logically possible, i have also tried every architecture package but come up with no changes in compilation error message.....i am currently trying stripped down settings (not very optimized) in hopes of getting to install PERIOD heh...

heres my /proc/cpuinfo:

Code:
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 6
    model  : 4
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz  : 1110.346
    cache size : 256 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug  : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu  : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp  : yes
    flags  : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
    bogomips : 2179.07

and the corresponding (current) make.conf:

Code:
    # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
    # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
    CFLAGS="-march=athlon -O2 -pipe -mcpu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer"
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    MAKEOPTS="-j2"
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="[url="ftp://ftp6.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo"]ftp://ftp6.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo[/url] 
    [url="http://vlaai.snt.ipv6.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/"]http://vlaai.snt.ipv6.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/[/url] [url="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/"]http://gentoo.osuosl.org/[/url] 
    [url="http://www.zentek-international.com/mirrors/gentoo/"]http://www.zentek-international.com/mirrors/gentoo/[/url]"
    USE="X gtk gnome qt kde"
    again the CFLAGS and USE settings are stripped down, if anything looks incorrect (or you have a solution) PLEASE help me out :S

have tried combinations of the following CFLAGS: -march = athlon, athlon-xp, and [none]; -mcpu = [see -march]; and omitting -fomit-frame-pointer

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you have -O2 listed.... have you tried not using any optomizations?

3. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

the original config i had that "worked" but wouldnt allow emerges was -march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe

but no, the smallest amount of opts ive trimmed to is: -O2 -pipe

will try no opts when this compiling fails heh

4. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

even with no CFLAGS set, it still failed......i find that rather odd...