genius phone interview

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by maybeitsyou, Feb 1, 2009.

1. maybeitsyou

maybeitsyou New Member

I applied for apple store genius and now I have a phone interview on Monday. I worked with geeksquad prior to this for about 2.5 years. anyone here work for apple? anything special I need to know?

2. assclown

assclown Active Member

Don't get dressed up for the interview, seriously.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I was hired for a Genius position but turned it down. Apple Stores are treated like 2nd rate and a separate company from Apple. Most people are part time so Apple doesn't have to pay for insurance. Some of the people at the Genius bar are full time. The biggest turnoff to the position was the hours. They have you work shit like, 6 days on, then 4 off, then 4 on, then 2 off.... Then they switch you between working mornings, mid-shifts, and evenings.

The "don't get dressed up" thing is BS. Don't put on a suit and tie but a nicer shirt. The head of hiring for the Apple HR dept was at my interview along with Duke who is the store manager for all 4 stores in our area (I was interviewing for the Mall of America store). They both said that it was nice to see someone take the interview seriously and didn't understand why people think just because they have a more casual dress in the store, why they thought they didn't need to be more presentable at the interviews. Pay also sucked. They were only offering $16-18/hr. With those kinda hours and schedule it's not worth it. Only about 15-20% of repairs are done in-house so you spend very little time doing that and most of the time dealing with pissed off people at the bar. Remember that the guys at the Genius Bar are the ones that deal with almost nothing but customers with problems. The upside is that they do fly you out to Cupertino for 2 weeks of training. Downside is that you never go in 1 Infinite Loop while you're there.

4. maybeitsyou

maybeitsyou New Member

I used to work at geeksquad. I'd be making a couple dollars more an hour. Getting bitchy customers are a normal thingy to me. I wanted a help desk job for a corporate company or something similar but dont have any certs for it. just going for whatever until im done with college. I'll recieve a call for a possible instore interview on friday. hopefully all goes well.

5. inamorata

inamorata New Member

Intelligence Level on Average

dog shit >apple genius > geek squad

I don't know about you tho :o

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Not really the case. Most of the Genius Bar guys know plenty (they certainly receive a lot more training then Geek Squad) it's just that they're use to dealing with mostly stupid customers so they dumb things down for everyone. Then again many of the more advanced problems they have no clue about. What do you expect from an in-house support team.

7. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

I had an interview for the creative position, I spilled juice all over my "interview" clothes and went in with my "nice" clothes.

Needless to say I didn't get the job, even though no one else knew shit. I'm going to assume I was over qualified. (It was a group interview.)

8. maybeitsyou

maybeitsyou New Member

i dont think its the company. its more of the individual person. i worked with some people in geek squad that know absolutely nothing about computers and work with people that could probably figure out anything if given enough reasonable time. i learned a lot from geek squad though with windows stuff. i just wanted a change in o/s platforms.