MIL Generals share their experience with PTSD

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jason H, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Just thought I'd share..

2. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Of course they get PTSD. I think there are two different types, acute and obtuse PTSD.

Acute = seeing your buddy die in your hands
    Obtuse = constantly dealing with high levels of stress

that's the way i think of it anyways.

3. Off

Off Memento Mori

Nice to see top brass acknowledge it. Didnt take me long to realize how real it was.

One of my first instructors in basic would zone out all the time and he'd get pissed and it looked like it took all his willpower for him not to rip someone's head off. Near the end of the course he told us his best friend/fireteam parter got blown up in his face (literally) and he had just lain there concussed for a minute staring at a bloody chunk of flesh.

Since then I've had buddies go over and come back radically different, sadly, the culture keeps them quiet and they try to deal :hs: They dont train us to deal with that shit at all, we had one lecture in basic on it.

Even on my infantry course, even though it was apparent several of the staff had it to some extent, nothing was ever said, it was always ''You will destroy/drop/hit/engage (never kill) the enemy, if your fireteam partner is hit, carry on the attack with the next fireteam over''

One of our biggest problems in the Canadian Forces is retention within the infantry, and PTSD is one of the main reasons (that and ruined knees from our shit rucks :mamoru:) but the brass wont do anything about it.

cliffs: beer is nice

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Do you mean chronic?

5. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

i got this misleading brief before i redeployed from an e7 talking about if you think you have ptsd you don't. the brief even said crying alone is normal. this is because they now have some lesser diagnosis that is not as infamous as ptsd. on the other end i have seen guys totally milk the system claiming all kinds of mental issues when you know there just shitbags who want a mommy figure to run to when they don't feel like working anymore.

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Wow. This is exactly what I get on random nights right out of the fucking blue.

7. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I'd rather they share their pay check.