General questions about Windows XP and Microsoft word?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by csun, Aug 26, 2007.

1. csun

csun New Member

putting a comp together, almost done.

it seems that my windows XP cd has vanished and my microsoft word cd has run out of CD keys.

do you guys know the deal about these cd keys? how many times can you install XP or word? i erase my HD and reinstall every so often and i dont want to spend too much money if i have to rebuy cds all the time. anyone have info on this?

where do you guys buy XP and word?

thanks!

2. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

If you actually bought them you should be able to ring up Microsoft and they'll fix up your problem. I believe the license says you can install it as many times as you want, as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time.

edit: Oh and you can buy them at most PC stores. On the other hand you could look at using entirely free software, one of the various linux flavours and open office may be a viable alternative.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Just image your machine after you've installed Word - then you never have to reinstall it - or your machine for that matter.

4. csun

csun New Member

could you elaborate on the free software, i dont quite understand how it is free as well as issues of compatibility. do they still use the "doc." format? where do you download it from? i did a search but it was unclear.

5. csun

csun New Member

what is "imaging" your machine mean? sorry im new to software issues.

6. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Free software is just that, free for all to use. There is a LOT of software that is free, you just have to look around for it. Most pieces of software that you buy actually have fairly good free alternatives. They, of course, aren't exactly the same but they often have the same or similar capabilities that would suit most users.

The direct link to open office should be below
    http://openoffice.bouncer.osuosl.org/?product=OpenOffice.org&os=winwjre&lang=en-US&version=2.2.1

Yes you can save in the .doc format and read "normal" .doc files as well but you can also save in more formats (usually ending up with a smaller file size as well). Unless everything has to be EXACTLY the same or you absolutely NEED some functionality that Open Office doesn't have then it should suit your needs.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i have reinstalled probably a hundred times and never had a problem. Valid cd keys don't expire.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Google Ghost or Acronis True Image. It basically "zips" your drive up into one big file (or split files). Barring any major hardware change, you can simply "unzip" the image back onto the drive and you've restored everything to the way it was at the time you imaged the drive.