General questions about MSF/new rider

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Changed, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

I have been entertaining the idea of getting my motorcycle license for the past year, starting last spring really. I have no riding experience... The cloest I have been to riding a motorcycle would be a 4-wheeler :hsugh:

Anyway, I think I'm going to my DMV sometime soon to get my permit, and then I plan on taking the MSF so I can learn to ride AND get my license. I was wondering if it is a good idea to actually buy equipement before taking the MSF? I was thinking helmet/jacket/gloves for the MSF. The thing is that I am a poor college student, and I doubt I'll have money for a bike unless I take out like a $3000 loan to buy a bike :hs:

Also, what are some opinions on actually taking a loan out to buy a used bike? (if it matters: I am done with 2 years of college, and I have 0$ of debt)

:wavey:

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Get your gear first, as far as loan on the bike try to take out yourself from a bank if you do financing through dealership you end up with high intrest rates, find better prices private sale then through a dealer.

3. machine81

machine81 New Member

I've had a bike before (in college), but had to sell it when I moved to start a new job. I've never taken the MSF because my state didn't require it and just didn't make it a priority. Now I'm in the process of replacing that bike and have decided to take the MSF as a refresher course. I've convinced a couple buddies of mine to take it with me. Neither has any experience on a bike or with a manual transmission. The class instructor has assured them that NO experience is required (except that you have to know how to ride a bike). You don't need a helmet, but they require that you have a long sleeve jacket, pants, eye protection, boots, and full-fingered or motorcycle specific gloves.

So, long story short, take the class. It doesn't cost much and you can decide if you like bikes or not. I would say don't even get your permit, just take the class and then take your slip to the DMV and get your license. Even if you never use it you still have the endorsement.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Pretty sure in NY you have to get your permit before you take it, helmet is also required in NY.

5. Changed

Changed Guest

yep, permit and a helmet. Also, its 300$ for the MSF where I live in NY :wtc:

6. Changed

Changed Guest

And I planned on taking the load out of a bank or credit union anyway

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm on Long Island and thats about what the price from here to Yonkers, dunno if its cheaper other places upstate :dunno: Some of the bike forums I'm on in other parts of the country its only $80

8. V!

V! New Member

You should own gear before you ever ride your bike

9. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

MSF course here i california costs $200 and the course supplied the helmet and gloves if you don't mind using things that others have used. MSF course helped out great. I thought it helped out alot. It's better to pratice with a beater that is not yours then to practice with your own bike. I definately recommend the MSF course. Yeah and definately get your gear before you get your bike.

10. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

MSF over here in sac supplies helmet and bike, u need to bring gloves (that cover the wrist), boots, long sleeved jacket, and i know im probably forgetting some other stuff

11. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Free course in PA

12. machine81

machine81 New Member

$100 in WA State and they supply bike and helmet.

13. Changed

Changed Guest

they supply helmet and bikes in NY too, but its 300$

I think if I buy gear and go ahead with the licensing and th MSF my parents will buy me a bike :x:

14. machine81

machine81 New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You have the coolest parents in the world then.

I'm 24 years old, have a wife, a college education, a good job, and live on my own 1600 miles from my parents and every time I talk about motorcycles they are like, "They are so dangerous. You don't need one."

15. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

I took my MSF with like 1 hour of riding experience. I bought a used bike, 400 bucks, so no big deal. I bought helmet, gloves, and jacket, and some boots, to take the MSF. Then I started riding the bike. Try and save up for a used bike, and try to find another place to take the MSF, 300 is a lot.

16. Stylerod

Stylerod 150mph in a swimsuit :eek3:

Cool. Remember, you don't have to get the most expensive helmet in the world. Motocyclist did a study and found the Pep Boys $89 Z1R (I think that was the brand) actually was safer than the $600 Arai helmets. Get one that fits well and when you get more money you can worry about getting a really nice helmet.

17. Changed

Changed Guest

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/ :mamoru:

I've been doing my research.

18. Changed

Changed Guest

I'm 19, not wife, a college education, and live on my own 20 miles from my parents. I dont think my mom will go for it, but my dad used to be a big biker. And, she had to put up with him doing, although I'm sure the reason he quit riding was b/c of her :mamoru:

Anyway, it will probably be more along the lines of a birthday present or graduation gift :x: