general perl question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RyanL, Jun 7, 2006.

1. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

What is perl's equivelent of this: http://www.php.net/manual/en/funcref.php?

I know the very basics of perl, we're talking like some looping and hello world, but I don't have a go to place when I need to look up a specific functions. Anyone have a site similar to php's so I can finally start to do some interesting things with perl?

2. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

I'm going to go ahead and ask for just some general resources for starting perl. I usually learn by doing a lot better then learning by reading. Anything along the lines of lists of basic functions, what program x looks like in c and php and java and perl for comparisons, stuff like that.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you have perl installed, then do: "man perl"

This will explain where in the man pages to go to find what you need. Then you end up doing like "man perlintro" or whatever you're looking for.

Also, googling "man perl" will have this stuff too.

I'm not trying to tell you to rtfm except that in this case... the manual is really, really good, and its broken up into pieces for someone exactly like you, with a great intro.

4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

how did I know you would be the one to answer this question... I figure all I had to do was say something like i want to learn perl and ditch php and you would come running :bigthumb:

anyway thanks for the reminder, I remember having heard that the man pages for perl were really good.

In the meantime I found this, http://perldoc.perl.org/perlintro.html which is eactly what I was looking for.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

That is "man perlintro" :)

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

At dinner last night a friend called me out for dissing PHP and said... "perl is the easiest language on planet earth to write unintelligable shit code in, and you love it butfault PHP?"