SRS General Frustration FTL v. Venting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Deckard, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Deckard

Deckard New Member

First off, I don't really have any advice to ask for per se, I just feel like I kinda have to vent right now. Normally I wouldn't dump this kind of stuff on OT, but I'm in a different time-zone right now, and none of my friends are around, so I figured I should just try to get this off my mind so I can at least try to have a decent night's sleep.

I'll make with the backstory first; I posted here not too long ago about some ridiculous girl-problem I had at the time (thankfully that's done with now), so one or two of the regs might remember me, but probably not. Either way, I'll try to keep this one shorter than the last. Here's basically what my life looks like; I'm 19, I work part-time (emphasis on the part, most I've worked in a month was 28 hours) and I play a sport on the professional level (although I'd call myself a semi-pro at most). I'm not currently going to school, but I'm making preparations to attend university in August or September, depending on where I go. On most fronts, I'm pretty happy with my life, and even though my social life has suffered because of the emphasis I've put on my training and traveling for my sport, I'm still a pretty popular guy, and have quite a few people in my life that I would consider friends. My issue right now is that I'm getting quite frustrated over two things, and I want to get them out of my mind

1) This isn't the biggest one, especially right now, but it always feels like it's in the back of my head; I have trouble believing in myself, on a...professional, I guess you'd say, level. Sometimes it seems like, no matter how well I do, or how many wins I get in practice/competition, I still lack self-esteem and self-belief to the point where it kills me during competition and I end up performing well below my level. This has been a long-standing issue for me, and even though I've made a lot of progress in this area as of late, it's still in the back of my mind. I have a competition coming up this weekend (the reason I'm in a different time-zone), and even though I've been very confident in the run-up to it, I'm still kind of nervous that I'll find a way to mess up. Granted, it's not as bad as usual, but what bothers me is that it's still there.

2) It seems that the main source of frustration in my life right now is relationships, or more specifically, lack thereof. As I mentioned, I have a pretty good circle of people who I consider to be friends, but the frustrating part comes from the sheer inability to find a girl, or (as I mentioned in the last thread I posted here) the inability to let her know how I feel and make something out of it before it's too late. Basically, being single is frustrating the hell out of me right now, because I've been single for quite a while now, and I guess that I'm afraid that, because it's starting to have this effect on me, it'll soon start affecting my performance on the court. To make matters worse, not long after I got over one girl (the subject of the previously mentioned thread), a friend of mine admitted that she had a thing for me. This was big because I felt the same way, but didn't want to say anything, blah blah blah. Now, the reason this isn't a good thing is because we're currently not living in the same place, which means that we basically can't do anything about it. There are times that we can hang out, but they don't exactly come often, and neither of us want to do long distance. Basically, I'm trying to deal with all of this shit just before playing an event that might help me get a scholarship to a nice school.
    Don't get me wrong, I know that these are both extremely trivial issues in both the long run and big picture, but they're kinda getting to me right now.

Cliffs: Girls and sports piss Deckard off. A lot.

EDIT: Yeah, I know, this post is also riddled with spelling and grammatical mistakes, but I'm frankly too tired to care right now.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  2. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

keep training. you enjoy your sport right? people can wait.

if you are in good shape the girls will come. especially in college.

just work on picking better clothing. girls judge a man by his shoes first, but over 50% believe a man is what he wears.

i always give the work out advice first but since you got that down. all you gotta do is dress yourself appropriately. if you want more advice pm me. im going to bed; but ill prolly check thread in the morn

3. Deckard

Deckard New Member

I definitely love my sport, I wouldn't be putting so much into it if I didn't. In fact, if I could train any more, I would, just so I wouldn't have to think about this kind of stuff in my downtime, haha!

I appreciate the advice, but I've been told by a lot of people that dressing isn't my issue; I'm not the typical athlete type that wears a warm-up suit everywhere, I actually make an effort when I go somewhere. A lot of girls have actually told me that they wish their boyfriends dressed like me, so I guess that's not the problem, haha. I appreciate the thought, though.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  4. Mulsanne

Mulsanne The Man = Funk Fusion Chaos

Whatever problems you may have related to your sport, consider this: At least you have a passion. You have something that drives you, gets you up every day, and (I'm sure) puts a smiler on your face. Be eternally grateful for that. A great many people either have no overriding passion, or just aren't very good at the things they enjoy.

Moreover, you aren't even throwing yourself blindly into your sport, you're planning on attending university. Therefore, don't worry about your performance (I know it isnt that easy), because more than anything you should be having fun playing your sport. And if you ever get down, remind yourself of the fact that you get you play something to make money. Pretty fucking sweet yeah?

And out of curiosity, I know it isnt relevent, but what do you play? :o

5. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

next step, talk to girls, get them to hang out alone with you. then hopefully you will be able to seal the deal. have em over to watch a dvd or something

6. Deckard

Deckard New Member

I totally agree; when I'm having a bad day, I can just look at my life, and know that while my friends are going to school/working I get to do something I love every single day, as you said. It's quite the picker-upper. I'm going to try and take your advice and not worry too much over my result this weekend, hopefully it will help!

And it's tennis :)

7. Deckard

Deckard New Member

This seems to be part where I got on the failboat.
    Oh, and I sorta forgot to mention that most of my female friends/girls I know are already taken. In fact, hilariously enough most of them are dating good friends of mine :dunno: