General Consensus on the Focus?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by eideteker, Feb 24, 2006.

1. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

What are the OT domestic car-gods opinions on the Ford Focus? I have a 2001 ZX3 with I/H/E, and I'm getting a transaxle rebuilt as we speak with shorter gears and a Torsen ATB differential. It's relatively fast for a girl/old lady car, and my inexperienced feet pedaled it to a [email protected] MPH last summer at the strip.

There are tuners out there getting upwards of 300HP out of the stock 2.0L Zetec, and the 2.3L Duratec in the 2005 and newer models shows even more promise as a tuning platform. I'm pretty sure what the response is going to be in a forum called "American Muscle", but I was just curious to see if anyone actually respects the modern FWD vehicles.

2. St. Anky's

St. Anky's www.ZBoardShop.com OT Supporter

Zetec be the domestic Vtec

btw, SVT focus plus a a turbo might be considered decent (but still not fast)...but a ZX3? come on buddy save your $$$ and don't bother, people are just going to laugh at you

3. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Don't worry what other people think... buy what you want, it's your money.

4. eideteker

Zetec =/= VTEC or any other sort of variable cam timing...although some Zetecs do have VCT on the exhaust cam as an emissions gimmick (SVT Focus, ZX2, etc.)

You can get just as much power out of the stock Zetec as you can out of the SVT Zetec...the differences are there but minimal, and most of them can be applied to the base Zetec as well, right down to the higher compression ratio and the variable length intake manifold. Some SVT owners have even swapped out the (weak) Getrag 6-speed for the better geared and stouter MTX-75 of the base Focus.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "fast" for a street car? Are you talking straight line performance, or real world driving capabilities?

5. Camaro > rice

Camaro > rice New Member

its a piece of shit, sell it and buy something decent. its the worst of both worlds, a ford and a ricer :greddy:

congratulations on coming out of the closet though

6. eideteker

I would, but the resale value is shit. :hsd:

Also, no.