MIL Gen. McChrystal issues order for AAFES concessions to close in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ggr12, Feb 14, 2010.

1. ggr12

ggr12 . OT Supporter

http://militarydailynews.com/2010/02/aafes-concessions-to-close-in-afghanistan/

Any thoughts or concerns about this? I never knew they had gd new car sales/jewelry concessionaires there. Seriously who needs that shit in a combat zone :ugh: I have not been deployed yet but I'll be headin over in late summer. For the life of me I could not think of one reason to have that sort of nonsense there.

2. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

Fuck him, seriously. The few times I actually got to a real AAFES in country I totally thought, this is bullshit, why am I here, I don't need this!!

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

It may not be necessary but who is he to decide? He has access to every little thing he desires. so this doesn't bother him at all.

4. solarsrt4

solarsrt4 New Member

AFMC is closing down flightline chow halls too, wtf.

+1 on MWR, it was nice in Balad.

5. brackac

http://www.newsweek.com/id/216237

He wants his troops to get out in the field, away from the comfy forward operating bases and into the street. In past wars, there was a term called REMF, for "rear-echelon motherf--ker." The new term of derision is FOBBIT, for those who never leave their forward-operating base. To cut down what McChrystal calls "the recreational attitude," he has been methodically closing down the concessions that sprout up on American bases—Pizza Hut, Burger King, Baskin-Robbins. "We don't need 31 flavors to fight a war," said a McChrystal aide who did not wish to be identified, but observed that when he was based at Camp Victory in Iraq early in the war there, it was possible to shop for 39 varieties of flat-screen TVs. If lazing about on a couch is classically American, so is aggressively attacking the enemy. "It's not the American way to back down from a fight," says Lt. Gen. Frank Kearney, deputy commander of Special Operations and a friend and classmate of McChrystal's.

6. solarsrt4

solarsrt4 New Member

Take away what small "Luxuries" that troops have in the AOR, you think they are disgruntled now? If he wants his troops to "get out in the field" send them on a damn mission. They are only sitting back in their "comfy FOB" because its probably their ONE day off a week and they want to relax, douchebag.

7. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

:hsugh::rofl:

8. thekinggovernor

awesome :bowdown:

9. brackac

It wasn't a literal statement.

He has a personal chef, his own internet service, and has personal items flown in weekly. Who is he to decide what the troops need, or don't need, when he is living better than anyone.

10. brackac

So, you want soldiers to follow in his footsteps and give up their body armor also?

The soldiers were driving heavily armored vehicles right down the middle of the road, pointing their weapons at civilian vehicles, forcing them to the side. When the convoy stopped, McChrystal took aside the commander and dressed him down. "This is exactly the way you create the ugly ISAF," he said in a low but cold tone. He issued a directive: from then on, all ISAF forces would obey local driving laws. (More difficult, he tried to set an example by not wearing body armor. "The Afghans don't wear body armor," he would say, but he ran into grumbling and resistance.)

11. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

I'm wondering if there isn't some backdoor stuff going on - it looks like he's trying to decrease the AAFES footprint and if the AAFES Civilian Employees aren't affecting the bottom line / an unofficial Gov't restriction on bodies in theater - we know we're operating under a Troop Level restriction in theater - but I haven't head about US Gov't employee limit - decrease the AAFES footprint (which most assuredly has a Soldier payee benefit as well) and you can up numbers in other areas.

I'm with the majority of you that say this sucks - but I'm not sure that we're getting the full story here. AAFES will stay in operation and continue to provide CLVI support as required by law to all locations - it's the ancilliary stuff that is being cut.

12. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

i agree about those type of places producing an attitude that makes people forget that they are in a combat zone. My soldiers rarely used them, and I didn't either. But the out of touch fobbits were always there.

13. brackac

That's why I think he is detached from the situation. The people who go off the FOB rarely get to use the concessions anyway. Unless McChrystal is going to hand the S1 weapons and send them out on patrol, they will still lay around the FOBs, but now they will have even more to bitch about.

14. thekinggovernor

he should be eating in the chow hall just like everyone else, he should be eating last

15. thekinggovernor

not awesome :squint:

16. brackac

Goes back to your chow hall comment. The only reason why he was allowed to go without body armor is because he is surrounded by a security detail. He is so far removed from day to day military operations that he has become delusional as to what the American soldiers needs or wants in order to stay motivated.

17. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

honestly, i hated the fact that all the Fobbits had it so good. I always felt like it detached them from the guys on the line. Maybe if the PLL clerk didnt get to stuff his face at BK and go to Salsa night after work, he would be a little more concerned about doing his job and helping others out. I dunno, just thinking out loud i guess

18. brackac

I would agree if I hadn't read previous interviews etc of Gen McChrystal. He is one of those officers who really likes it when it sucks. Makes him feel more alive or some bullshit.

McChrystal, 55, is a purebred warrior, the son of a two-star general, West Point class of '76, a former commander of the elite Rangers Regiment, and, from 2003 to 2008, the head of hunter-killer black ops in Special Operations. He eats one meal a day, works out obsessively every morning at 5, and is so free of body fat that he looks gaunt

19. brackac

I think it will be the exact opposite, they will just have more idle time on their hands which will lead to more bitching and complaining.

20. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Good! One of my soldiers bought 90 fucking burritos (for himself) at Victory. 90 fucking burritos. 90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still get pretty pissed at this, and his ncos. Whom thought it was ok.

21. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Don't you love the salsa night, and the black fraternity nights on fobs? Especially the signs that say "parking for NTVs only".

LOL, wtf?

22. JoJoFine

JoJoFine OT Supporter

we didnt have any of that bs for the year i was there and we got along just fine. i dont think that the people at BAF even know they're in a combat zone. its like a giant midwestern strip mall dropped in the middle of afghanistan

23. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I am not sure what I think of him as a commander and representative of 'big-army'...

i want to post something more thought provoking but I would end up just repeating what everyone else already said

24. tan koi

tan koi Guest

but he likes barber and beauty shops

25. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

So troops can reign in their Moos-stash!