GEForce 6800 recommendations?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by beez, Jul 13, 2004.

1. beez

beez New Member

I'm not sure if this is a better subforum than Gamers' Pulse, but that one seems to be more concerned with the games themselves.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 64MB Gainward GEForce 440MX (yuk it up) to something a bit more substantial. I'd like to go for a GEForce 6800, but I'm not sure which model would be best for my purposes. I have an Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73GHz) on a Soyo KT-400D w/ 512MB 400MHz RAM and a 400W PS. I'm fairly certain that my CPU is going to be a bit of a drag on performance. I only have one power connector free in my system and would be unable to free up two without buying a new PS. I know that power is an issue, and it's what's steering me toward the 6800 instead of the X800, since the X800 requires two free power connectors as opposed to one with a y-adapter.

Anyway, I'm not a hardcore gamer but I'd like something that'll make stuff like Far Cry and Joint Ops: Typhoon Rising look nice. I'd also like something that won't be obsolete for at least 2 years. I'm leaning toward the 6800GT but I'd like to know if I'd be better off with a plain 6800 or an Ultra. As far as I can tell, the Ultra and GT look pretty similar. I'm not sure if there's any large difference. What's the general opinion on these cards for the occasional gamer?

2. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

x800 only has 1 power connector and actually consumes less power than the 9800xt

3. beez

beez New Member

Whoa, you're right.

I had read this a few days ago and I guess I got everything mixed up. It looks like the 6800 Ultras are still $150 less than the XT Pros. Either way, I'd still like to hear what yall think :hs:

4. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

maybe you mean the 6800 GT is 150 less. the 6800U is around the same price as the x800xt.

I ordered an x800xt already mainly cuz I got it cheap and the 2 slot + power consumption of the Ultra scared me off

if I were to choose the gt vs. the ultra, I'd probably get the gt and save ~$150. it should be enough to give you a bit of a headroom to upgrade other parts of your sytem in the future.

5. beez

beez New Member

The first two cards on Pricewatch under the 6800 Ultra are listed at $315 and $399. They're listed as "GAINWARD (GOLDEN SAMPLE) ULTRA/2400 GEFORCE 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 256-bit AGP 8X", so maybe they're just erroneously being put into the Ultra category. Thanks for the responses :).

6. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

just keep in mind a card that powerful will run the listed games fine, but your cpu is gonna bottleneck your comps abilities. that, imo, is a sub-par cpu for those caliber of games. that is said under the assumption that by buying a $400 video card you expect perfection from your pc's performance.

7. beez

beez New Member

If I expected perfection I'd be upgrading the mobo/cpu :). I just want them to run without hideous game-ruining slowdown. I'm sure I'll be upgrading that within a year now, which is also why I'd like a nice card that won't be obsolete.