Gearing up for winter jogging/running.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Maxvla, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

Just got started exercising for the first time in my life (I'm 26) about 2 months ago. I've been going to my local park and power walking and some jogging/sprinting. I've already lost 23 pounds (6'2" 260-237) so I'm pretty happy, though most of that I'm sure was the change in my diet.

Anyways.. So far I haven't purchased anything special for exercising until tonight. I went to Academy and looked around at everything they had, mostly apparel. I found some nice thin gloves, a snug warm feeling beanie to keep my ears warm. Those 2 things were mainly what I was going for since it is starting to drop into the 50's here in Oklahoma. I'm currently just wearing a t shirt and jean shorts that are fairly loose. I know I should be wearing other things and that's why I'm here now.

I saw things like Dri Fit, stuff marked for cold or hot weather, but most of it was unmarked. What should I be getting? Is the Dri Fit stuff mostly just moisture control or is it for hot weather also? I went ahead and picked up some generic looking gym shorts while I was there just so I would be able to drop the jean shorts I've been wearing, but I didn't know what else I should be getting.

Any help? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

I'm sorry... but jean shorts? and to RUN IN? Reallly?

3. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

Upper Body

The key to winter running dressing, especially with your upper body, is layering. Not only do layers trap body heat, they allow sweat to move through the layers of clothing. The moisture is wicked away from your first layer to your outer layers, and then evaporates. Here's a guide to how you should layer on your upper body:

Wicking Base Layer: The layer closest to your body should be made from a synthetic wicking material, such as DryFit, Thinsulate, Thermax, CoolMax, polypropolene, or silk. This will wick the sweat away from your body, keeping you dry and warm. It's very important to make sure you don't wear cotton for this layer because once it gets wet, you'll stay wet. When it's above 40 degrees F, you can usually wear just a long-sleeve base layer.

Insulating Layer: Your second or middle layer, which is needed for very cold weather (below 10 degrees F), should be an insulating material, such as fleece. This layer must continue wicking moisture away from the skin. It should have the perfect balance of trapping some air to keep your warm, yet release enough vapor or heat to avoid overheating. Some fabrics suggested for your second layer: Akwatek, Dryline, Polartec, polyester fleece, Microfleece, Thermafleece and Thermax.

Wind- and Water-proof Outer Layer: This layer should protect you against wind and moisture (rain, sleet, snow), but at the same time allow both heat and moisture to escape to prevent both overheating and chilling. It's a good idea to wear a jacket with a zipper for this layer, so that you can regulate your temperature by zipping it up and down. Suggested outer layers: ClimaFit, Gore-Tex, Microsuplex, nylon, Supplex, and Windstopper. If it's between 10 and 40 degrees F, you can usually get away with a wicking base layer and an outer layer.

Gloves/Mittens: You can lose as much as 30% of your body heat through your extremities, so it's important to cover those hands. On cold days, wear gloves that wick away moisture. When it's extremely cold, mittens are a better choice because your fingers will share their body heat.

Lower Body

Tights/Running Pants: Your legs generate a lot of heat so you don't need as many layers on your lower body. You can usually wear just a pair of tights or running pants made of synthetic material such as Thermion, Thinsulate, Thermax, Coolmax, polypropolene, and/or silk. If it's below 10 degrees F (temperature or wind chill), you may want to consider two layers on your lower body: a wicking layer of tights, and a wind-proof layer such as track pants.

Shoes: Your feet also stay pretty warm, as long as you keep them moving and dry. Try to avoid puddles, slush, and snow. Look for a running shoe with as little mesh as possible, since that's where the water will seep through to your feet. Or, if you can't avoid running in the snow, you may want to think about buying trail running shoes, which are somewhat water-proof and will give you a little more traction in the snow.

Socks: Never wear cotton socks (in cold or warm weather) when running because they won't wick away the moisture, leaving your feet wet and prone to blisters. Instead, be sure to wear a good pair of wicking socks made of fabrics such as acrylic, CoolMax, or wool (in the winter).

4. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

We all have to start somewhere.. I'd never exercised in my life. I just started and used what I had.

Thanks for the info above.

5. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

It's pretty rare in Oklahoma to drop below 20F. Do you think I'd be ok with the wicking and outer layers only?

I managed to make a good buy despite my ineptitude. I got some Polartec Ultra Thin gloves that have a wicking micro fleece and are also water and wind proof.

I don't suspect water will be much of an issue. The track I jog is paved sidewalk so no puddles. Should I still stay away from mesh?
    Had no idea, but makes sense. I had felt this, but thought it was normal. I'll get some of these right away.

6. knucks

knucks Active Member

I would avoid any of those synthetic base layers. Get a wool tshirt. Trust me.

If you can find a local army/navy surplus store, they have cheap ones. $25 or so.

7. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

So a wool t-shirt and jacket, or just the t-shirt? Sorry I'm a noob, never did sports or anything in school :(

8. knucks

knucks Active Member

9. knucks

knucks Active Member

I think a wind-resistant jacket/top and a wool longsleeve would do you fine.

10. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

Ah, ok. A bit steep, but I guess it's worth it. It sure looks cool. :)

Thanks. I'll start hunting this stuff down.

11. knucks

knucks Active Member

Well like I said, something like it.
    I'm sure Columbia makes something for a lot cheaper.
    Take a look on www.steepandcheap.com , I've seen many of those wind-resistant jackets popping up.

12. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

That's a really interesting site. Never seen anything quite like it. Thanks for the link.

13. I have a cold weather under armor long sleeve shirt that keeps me way warm even if it is pretty damn cold out in the morning. I wear a tshirt on top of it too so I dont look like a dbag and just for more heat.

14. smb is me

smb is me New Member

Its not that uncommon :) or at least it wasn't 5 yrs ago, thank you global warming. Where at in Oklahoma?

15. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

Metro OKC. It happens a few times during the winter, but it's pretty rare it would be sub 20 degrees at 11am which is when I go out.

16. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

picked up a "Icebreaker Solo Superfine140 Shirt - Long Sleeve" from Steep and Cheap just a few mins ago for $29 ($69.99 Retail). Says it is New Zealand merino wool. Should be good to go on my bottom layer. Still watching for a good outer layer and legs.

For shoes I'm heavily considering the Nike Free 5.0 or 3.0. 7.0 seems not to fit my goals. Anyone have experience with these shoes? I already jog landing on the balls of my feet.

17. Maxvla

Maxvla New Member

I think the idea the others were saying was to wear a wicking layer covered by an insulating/outer layer. Also of course I'm getting pants, I just got the shorts cause I knew I would need them eventually anyways. Aren't sweats cotton? Everyone else has said not to wear something like that :hs:

It hasn't really gotten 'cold' here yet. Still hitting the 50's when I'm out there so I'm good for now.

18. zlatic

zlatic New Member

americans are weird.

instead of running when its -30 outside, why dont you just go to a nice warm rec center?

or is the chance of meeting a girl there too high?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.