Gear

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by MCWarhammer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. MCWarhammer

MCWarhammer New Member

I want to get some new gear, specifically what do you recommend for boots and pants.

I don't have any special gear for my pants, I always just wore my dickies. And for boots, I have some uncomforatable pieces i got from payless or something. I want something to use for everyday riding, I don't plan on going to track days so I don't want anything crazy, just something I can ride in, and go to work or wherever comfortably for the day.

Also, whats the verdict with textile jackets? Some people tell me they are safer than leather, others, and I believe I read, that nothing beats leather. Textile is a lot nicer to wear on hot summer days, and I'd like a new jacket eventually, but if textile doesn't hold up in a crash, I'd rather go with something leather and vented.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If I'm just riding to working or putzing around town I wear work boots. Theirs a few companies that make casual style riding shoes but I prefer work boots seem to give better ankle support and I know they'll stay on if something happens.

I crashed while wearing a textile jacket before, it held up very poorly and I didn't even slide that far the entire back came apart if I hadn't been wearing a hard back protector under it my back would of been rashed up good. Stick with leather, get something with lots of perforation I have a fieldsheer jacket I got really cheap at a local shop on clearance, it's held up well over the last few years and even on hot summer days as long as I'm moving I dont get to hot.

3. MCWarhammer

MCWarhammer New Member

I've never heard of fieldsheer, the jackets look pretty sweet though, thanks! They don't have any dealers too close, but its a reason to ride somewhere at least, I'll go check those out. And work boots will probably be a cheaper alternative as well, I'll hit up the mall and see whats available.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think I got my FS jacket for around $200 it was a previous years discontinued style, I've had it for about 5 years now held up well over the years, couple friends havem and are happy with them as well, I will say don't buy there gloves I picked up a pair when I bought the jacket and after a year the gloves weren't in great shape, then again may of gotten better in the last few years. I wear the contractor grade timberlands you can get at Sears for $80-90 when on sale, I'd stick with something like that over the more fashionable work style boots you'd find at foot locker or something.

5. MCWarhammer

MCWarhammer New Member

The FS's definitely look nice, I had an A* jacket that I just sold on ebay, it was a bit big on me, and not very summer friendly, but other than that I was happy with it when it was cold out. I'll check out Timberlands tonight.

Do you wear steel toe?

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've worn steel toe in the past don't anymore, mostly because you have no feeling when shifting, then on weekends when I'd go upstate in full gear it felt odd shifting with my riding boots on.

7. MCWarhammer

MCWarhammer New Member

gotcha, thats what I was thinking. I'll stay away from steel toe then, thanks again.