Gateway laptop burned my nephew

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Jul 3, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

So, my brother was telling me that his son fell asleep with his Gateway laptop running. He ended up getting a bunch of 2nd degree burns on his arms where the fan was blowing out. Now, I know laptops are hot, but that is nuts.

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

it happens. pretty common on dell and macs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

.... or this is another pun for P07 since he sackrides gateway?

3. awns729

awns729 New Member

hm i guess cuz of the length of time that it was sitting on his arm for or was it really just that fucking hto?
    honestly, i don't think that gateways really run much hotter than at least some other laptop brands.
    the good news is, soem grad students at MIT are working on mini-refridgerators to put into laptops to bring cooling to a whole new level (or some shit like that).

i own two gateways btw. they're good, not great. had a HDD failure and the build quality is cheap. i have to jiggle the AC adapter to get it to charge and theres a tiny spot on my LCD thats dimmer than the rest of the screen. the DVD drive also clicks sometimes. its a c2d 2ghz, xpmce, 2gb ram, 160 gb hdd for $740 a year ago. it was a greatttttt deal. that was the only positive thing about it.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like his computer got stuck in an infinite loop and the CPU was pegged at 100% the whole time. Any computer that's working properly and can stop the CPU when there's no work to do won't get that hot.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

gateway is no diff than any other system, including high-end machines.... cpus get hot, it's transfered to the heatsink, and a fan encourages convection to ambient air.... stick flesh by the exhaust for a long period of time under load, and it's gonna get burned.

seems pretty fucking retarded to get mad at them for working the way that it's designed to.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

7. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I'm still wondering how you can sleep through second degree burns. :hsugh:

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Yeah, that was my initial thought too.

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

me too. sounds a little strange to me.

i wasn't really complaining about Gateway so much because i've seen my Dell and MacBook Pro get extremely hot as well. it just happened to be a Gateway that he was using.

10. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

sounds like exaggeration to me

11. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

listen, asshole, this is the shit that makes people hate you. this is the shit that you claim is said without any hidden meaning other than you walking around with your fat head up your ass calling me retarded. never once in my original post did i say that i was angry at Gateway for anything. i just thought it was interesting.

12. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

might be, i didn't see the kid. my brother said he had blisters, but maybe he burned himself on his crack pipe or something.

13. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I agree.

Powerful laptops = shite. I think it was Peyomp made a similar point in another thread recently.

When you're using the power they're hot, loud (less important really), and battery last not-very-long. That's not portable. There is no such thing as real portable power I guess, unless your laptop is acting as a thin client, but that's just a thin client, you do NOT WANT portable power on your lap.

lmao at the egg frying on the MBP :mamoru:

subnotebooks are the way to go, that is my opinion.

when Wimax takes off (it is taking off according to hype), and especially when most of our populated land masses can get online cheaply and easily, I wonder will all our portables be essentially thin clients (or nearly-thin in that they adapt some UI for the specific device).
    in a laptop you wouldn't even have a DISK to worry about backing up or syncing, that can be done helped by RAID offloaded to a desktop or a server.

14. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i have a dell, it blows out air but i would only describe it as warm, not hot. however, after using it on my lap for a good period of time it has gotten pretty hot, although not hot enough to burn anything.

it seems to me if you were to get burnt it would be from contact though and not the air, cause it's hard to imagine it blowing out air that hot.

15. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Horseshit. Gateways ARE pieces of shit though and their customer service sucks ass. Never again.