SRS Gastric Bypass Surgery

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Alpha Q Up, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Alpha Q Up

Alpha Q Up New Member

So ive been considering this along time. Ive yet to talk to my patents about it, i just wanted to get a few more thoughts on it. I know the entire process and the commitment i have to make afterwards. I only think about the procedure as a last resort. I haev done everything i can and the most i can drop is 10-20 pds and then it comes back. Im currently 6'2, 285 pds and id like to drop to around 200. A litte more, i dont wanna be skinny, but i dont wanna be so damn big like i am now. Or at least how i feel now.

2. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

i think wanting to lose 85 lbs isn't ideal with gastric bypass frankly

most of those who have gb, lose more than that. before you have the surgery, it's mandatory that you lose weight and your doctors will keep track of that to see if you are comitted.

it's good you are thinking about gb as a last resort, but maybe you should talk with a nutrionist and a doctor about your weight loss so that you don't have to take such drastic measures

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

A procedure like that is not without risk, not that i want to scare you away of doing it but there have been cases of people dying as a result of the complications of such a drastic surgery. In good hands however your likely to lose over 100 kilograms within one year.So if you are aware of the risks and still willing to give it a shot, and are absolutely using this as a last resort then you have my blessing. The one thing you should know however is that you should be aware that this lifestyle comes with medicine use, and that you are to take these medicines on the appropriate time, also that you can't enjoy meals like you used to do. Losing weight is incredibly hard, and if your body is set to keep on eating forever, then its time to make some drastic measures.

4. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

• Hrm, as someone that had GPB 3+ years ago I will debunk somethings here. Yes, it is risky, but any surgery is. Get a good surgeon and you will be fine. The risk comes from the ana (cant spell it) not really the procedure itself. Those that die from this have multiple other complications. You dont sound like you have any others.
    • Insurance is a bitch to get approved. Unless you are already approved, start now. Usually takes up to a year and beyond to jump through all the hoops.
    • Its a lot of work the first year, after that its pretty easy to maintain, just need to keep hydrated.
    • You can, and will gain some weight back. Ive gained 25 pounds back from my lowest loss point.
    • Food will get stuck, you will vomit, it will hurt. Takes time to learn what you can and cannot eat.
    • I can eat anything but milk and ice cream now so that bullshit about not enjoying meals like you used to, is bullshit.
    • I take no long term medicine because of surgery. The only thing I take related to the surgery is a daily multivitamin and calcium three times a day.
    • If you dont exercise, like me, you will gain weight back. Start exercising now, even if its just walking for 30 mins 4 times a week.
    • Any other questions PM me or post here.

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

I was 405 morning of surgery and I am 270 now. I wish I could lose another 50 pounds but its just not going to happen. And yeah 85 pounds isn't a lot of weight but most Dr's will not look at you unless your BMI is over 40 and you are 100lbs over your ideal weight. At his current hight and weight he is a candidate as long as his insurance doesn't have a stipulation like mine did where you have to have a record of it for at least 3 years and have to show that you were on a medical program for at least 6 months to try and lose the weight. Best thing to do is call your insurance company and them to email or fax what the reqs for the procedure are.

6. Alpha Q Up

Alpha Q Up New Member

thanx alot for the information guys.