GUN Garand question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SlowTA367, Feb 8, 2007.

1. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I told myself I was done buying weapons for a while, but I went to the gunstore today and they have a Garand in excellent condition for $600.

My question:

Should I buy it? :noes:

Edit: Its a Springfield with a 428xxx serial number.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I would lean towards no, but it really depends on why you told yourself you weren't going to be buying guns for a while.

3. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I told myself that because I plan on buying a house soon. But it looks like I might have my Trans Am sold on Monday, so that helps a lot.

4. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

It depends on the condition, but I would also say that 600 bucks is a drop in the bucket compared to a house, so it probably wouldn't hurt that much.

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If its in nice condition I would.

6. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I'll probably pick it up tommorrow or Saturday. I just wanted to make sure $600 is a good price.

The owner of the store said a guy brought in the Garand and 5 other guns to put on consignment because he's moving (wtf?). But the owner hasn't even marked it up to sell yet, he showed me the papers to prove it, and he said he'd go ahead and sell it to me for $600 even.

7. t1h

t1h Guest

i'd go to www.odcmp.com and see if you can call/email them or get on the message board and find out if it was sold as a service grade or correct grade (doubtful) and if so, jump on it. if it is a field or rack grade, CMP won't be running out of those for a couple of more years

8. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

dude, you can hardly find a beat to hell one for less than 800. at that price it might not even be there by the time you get back if it is in good condition. 400k serial number makes it an early WW2 gun.

9. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

just buy it.

10. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I just went back tonight and asked him what he knew about it. He said the guy bought it supposedly unfired in the box. The stock has the usual dings in it, but the bore looks fucking good. I looked up the serial number last night and its supposed to be ~ November 1941 production. I also found a "S.A. 12-41" stamp on it.

Anyway, I brought it home and I'm taking him the money tommorrow. This guy is cool as fuck.

Edit: The CMP wants $25 to check their records. I might have them do it later just for the hell of it.

11. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

i have a few books and can do that for you, unless they can see where it was at what time. you might want to have somebody knowledgable on garands check the throat erosion.

12. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

Just yesterday i picked up a Springfield M1 from a local shop with a serial number in the low 1,000,000's....i dated it to between november/december of 1942 off the fulton armory serial number page. It seems to have been rebarreled since the barrel number is from 1952. The receiver and barrel are in great shape except for the finish wear and the stock is all original that is in so-so shape. The tag said 1095 and i told them i wasnt paying that but id give them 700+tax and they played ball. I know i paid about 50-100 too much for it but I cant find any garands anywhere and this is the first place that was willing to come down well below 1000 for a the real mccoy and not a knockoff. Plus, the CMP just sold out of all the field grade garands on the 6th of this month so all thats left is rack grade. Id say my new acquisition would easily be a service or field grade rifle. Im thinkin about replacing the stock/handguards with the walnut replacements from fulton armory and storing away the originals for collector sake.

also, sorry to hijack the thread a little.....but does anybody have tips in general on minor restorations of a garand? Can I swap the stock myself or should i bring it to a gunsmith?

13. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

From what I understand, the stock should be relatively easy to replace. I haven't taken mine apart yet, so I'm not too sure.

14. t1h

t1h Guest

15. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Stocks are easily replaced within 5 minutes. However I wouldnt worry about buying or saving a stock unless it's a super niced cartouched stock, rare cartouched stock, etc. Even then I wouldnt worry about it.

16. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Mine has a marking on the stock that looks like a big C with a P inside it. Anybody know what that means?

17. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

If it's under the stock by the trigger group, it's just a standard govt "proof" mark saying that the stock meets requirements. And it's a P inside of a circle.

18. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Ok, thanks. Mine's not really a circle though, its more like a box, but it doesn't have the right side.

19. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

as said stocks are easy to replace. As far as replacement goes, if it is the improper type of stock, there were specific stocks for certain manufacturers and years I wouldn't bother. Any gun that came back from WW2 or Korea was probably rebarreled when it went through the arsenal for rework.

20. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

like i mentioned, my rifle was rebarreled with a SA barrel in 1952....ive been checking out the Boyds walnut stock sets and they seem reasonably priced and ive heard good things about them.

21. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I was giving an explanation....

if it is the proper stock I could see getting another set of furniture too.