GUN garand crew: educate me please!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by beetle, May 15, 2009.

1. beetle

beetle blah blah blah OT Supporter

I've decided I'd like to get a garand. The history of it is really appealing. As such, I'd like to try to find one that is somewhat original. I guess what I'm looking for is a reasonably good shape authentic model, but not so good that it'd be a collector's pristine model (i plan to shoot it). I'm not so interested in ones that have new wood stocks installed, as they just dont seem as authentic.

I know CMP sells them, but they seem to be out of stock of the better grades and there is a long wait.

What is the consensus on www.m1garandrifle.com? http://www.m1garandrifle.com/Garandrifles.htm

Unfortunately they too are out of stock of the grade I'd be interested in "battle grade". What do you guys think of the "select grade" where most of it is original parts with the exception of the barrel which is replaced with a new Kreiger Criterion Match Quality barrel?

I'm willing to pay up to $1500 for the right one. Is there a shop or source that has a good reputation for garands?

appreciate any pointers you can throw my way.

Thanks!

2. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

everybody's just going to tell you to go with the CMP. for good reason.

3. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

4. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

This. Or maybe go order from, say, Dean's Gun Restorations, or a similar outfit. (DGR is big in the Garand 'smithing world).

Aside from something like that, check out ARFcom's M1/M14 section--yes, they have one, and at least back when I frequented the place, there wasn't as much stupidity as on other parts of the site.

5. bobotech

bobotech New Member

If you are really serious, I could find out next week if my coworker is planning on selling anything from his collection.

Just to tell you how serious he is about his garands, he has most of the parts to build a gas trap model Garand. It won't be original matching parts of course but he has most of the parts to build a working gas trap garand.

He has been collecting Garands and M1As for about 40 years now.

6. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Or go to CMP, and get Garands shipped right to your door for less money than any other place charges.

And copious ammo, too.

7. beetle

beetle blah blah blah OT Supporter

thanks for the advice :wavey:

I'm going to order one from CMP as a shooter, and during the wait keep looking for a nice one for the collection.

8. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Good plan. My CMP rifle has given nearly-perfect service in the 2-and-a-bit years I've owned it.

I just want to get another cheap one, then refinish and refurbish it to be the "pretty" gun.