Garage Band slowdown?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hellodon, Jun 8, 2007.

1. hellodon

Oct 26, 2006
    I have a 20" intel mac, 2.0GH with 2GB of ram.

When I use garage band, I notice that as I get to about 7-8 tracks, the live recorded instruments seem to be on a delay. It's minimal but obviously even a delay this small throws off recording because it's slightly off. Lets say I have 5 tracks that I've already laid out and I'm recording guitar as the 6th over the 5 that were previously recorded....when I'm playing guitar, I am playing it right on with the track, but when it's recording (and in the monitor), it's recording slightly delayed so at this point when I playback, it sounds off...

This just doesnt seem right. Apple has been advertising Garage Band as an instant studio for any musician for a while now and you'd think something as basic as 7 tracks out of an unlimited multitrack recording program would be NOTHING. If I had an older machine or less ram, I'd understand that this would probably happen - I remember my old old old powerbook (G4 667) had a slight delay when i toyed around with Garage Band on it years ago, but when I have a pretty decent machine like I do now, it seems like this software should run properly. Is there something that I'm doing wrong? Anyone else experience problems like this? I'm sort of shocked that a delay like this happens with so little tracks like this...