Gaming PC for World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mixwell, Mar 14, 2007.

1. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

Those who may remember, about a month ago I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my old PC. Until now I still do not know what is wrong with it, so I'm giving up and deciding to just build a new PC. It's been a while since I last put one together, and even the last time I did, I had help (as I am this time as well).

I will be mainly using my PC for play WoW, watching movies, internet, and daily assignments and such for school. Playing WoW will probably be the most stress I'll be putting on my computer. With that said, this is what I've came up with after researching a few days on various sites.

PSU http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-hx5...lar-atx-power-supply/q/loc/101/203270716.html $108

Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131142&ATT=13-131-142&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch $147

CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003 $339

RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590 $175

HD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073 $152

Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082 $309

LCD Monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824009102 $296

CPU fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003 $57

Total: $1583

$80 in mail-in rebates

I will be reusing some old components such as my Antec Sonata Case, DVD RW (may need to upgrade since it's only a 4x speed), keyboard, mouse.

I have have an extra 120gig WD HD. It's a bit old though so I'm not sure if it will work in my new PC I'm building? Same thing with the Kingston 2x512mb sticks I have. I'm also upgrading from a Radeon 9800 PRO which I know is really really old in comparison to the video cards now.

I'm just a bit unsure on my selections. I'm unsure if my PSU will be too much, or perhaps too little? I hear having a good PSU is extremely important and to not go cheap. I'm just not sure what is cheap. I checked reviews and the OCZ had really good reviews.

As for a HD... I heard WD is king. Seagate got good reviews though, but sounds like there were little problems here and there. I really only need about a 250gig. I can also get more later I guess?

I've always wanted a 22" LCD screen. Why the 22"? Because going any higher then causes the price to go up a lot. Just seems like the best bang for the buck type deal.

Anyways... I am hoping in ordering they parts later today. Really when I wake up but I'm willing to wait in order to insure I'm getting the right parts for what I am planning on using my PC for. I just want to make sure I'm building my computer right this time around. I want to make sure my computer doesn't suddenly stop working because I may have overlooked something like not having enough power, or too much if that is possible.

I'd really appreciate any type of advice or comment. Upgrades or Downgrades I can make to fit the needs I'm going to be using my PC for. Like I said, it would be mainly for Gaming and playing World of Warcraft.

edit: I wanted to keep this around $1200-$1300 so it would be nice if I could get some parts for cheaper... checked newegg.com, pricewatch, zipzoomfly.com

Not sure if it's advise to use better thermal grease than what the CPU comes with. I have some artic silver 5 laying around. Fan and heatsink wise I'm on not sure if I should upgrade from what I have in my case? Never really built a computer as massive as this one, so I'm not sure if it will need any type of extra cooling. Quieter the better as well as long as it doesn't get too expensive.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  2. PSU and mobo look fine. you could downgrade your CPU for sure. Intel Core Duo 2.4ghz is definitely overkill if you plan to just play WoW and browse the internet.

Same with the memory, 2gb might be overkill, but if you can find it cheap then more power to you and your PC.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Multiple cores are a wonderful idea. I've never used a dual-core computer that I thought didn't really need it. It's like having two cars in the driveway.

2GB of RAM is definitely more than he needs, though it gives him a comfortable enough margin that he could turn off the virtual memory file on his hard drive, which in my experience makes applications load a lot faster since Windows won't be unnecessarily throwing crap into the virtual memory while also reading data from the hard drive. Were he running Linux, it wouldn't make nearly as much difference, since Linux doesn't touch its virtual memory until it really needs it, but then he wouldn't be able to play WoW anyway.

4. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

Thank you for the responses guys. You've always been especially helpful deusexaethera.

I might consider downgrading a few things like my CPU if I can save some money. If it doesn't make a huge difference, I would rather save $100~$200 instead. I don't know how big of a difference a E6400 and E6600 is. All I know is I was told the 4mb cache to 2mb cache is nice to have. Is it worth being nearly double in price though?

I want 2gigs of RAM this time around because with 1gig, I felt some choppiness. Maybe it's because my PC was dying and buggy since I had not reformatted in a long time. I just want to be able to multi task too. I plan on getting another monitor so I'll have 2 screens in the future. 1 screen for WoW, the other screen to be surfing the web, having ventrillo up and even downloads if my bandwidth allows it.

I don't want to go way over the top. More... above average so my computer will last a long time to come. To be able to mainly play WoW while multi-tasking without very much lag.

5. Try to find the sweet spot for the CPU. Also I tend to buy more for high-quality brands rather than for a cheaper no-name unit with the same features.

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Good pieces parts, but I have to say that it's not too late to back away from the WOW game. Once you get into it, say goodbye to the next year or so of free time.

7. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

lol yeah it had that affect on me for a little while. Been playing the game for about 2 years now... I've come to learn that you have to set your priorities straight and make sure you get out once in a while. It's what I do now and it doesn't affect me much as I spread out my freetime =) I just have a lot of friends who play it

8. deusexaethera

Thanks for the compliment.

I just noticed you said you heard that Western Digital is king; I won't dispute that Western Digital is among the best (Fujitsu makes great server SCSI and laptop IDE drives, by the way), but I've only ever had one Seagate drive die on me -- and that was after it had been running for 5 years and then bumped around in the back of a U-Haul truck for 600 miles. If Seagate is suffering quality problems right now, I can only think it's because they've been the most ambitious with their development of new technology to keep increasing storage capacity. I wouldn't put anything else in my mother's computer.

That said, all hard drives fail eventually, and if you're going to have hundreds of gigabytes of online storage in your machine (as opposed to CDs/DVDs/tapes), you really should at least have two identical drives mirroring each other so your data doesn't go away in an accident. Not to mention, data will be accessed faster if it's being pulled from multiple drives.

9. Doc Brown

Funny thing about the Fujitsu scsi drives, they quite often are the fastest of a particular range. Not that it's weird, but I would have thought Seagate being so huge would be the fastest more often than not.

10. sowapowa

sowapowa New Member

11. klhartwigs321

klhartwigs321 New Member

as you probably know in a gaming pc the gpu is more important than the cpu.

12. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

after another day of researching and thought, I have decided on a build. It's more expensive than I had originally wanted to spend, but I have the money and would really like a higher end computer that would last a while. I do not plan on upgrading for at least 2 years, so I'm a hoping this will do. I'd like to be able to get better parts/name brands, but I haven't been able to find anything better. With that said, if anyone has any other recommendations on parts, or even better... cheaper parts, please do comment.

my first post has been edited

Thank you again for everyone who has been putting in their input!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  13. Clarity

Clarity New Member

That build looks good!

That will run WoW very well. :bigthumb:

14. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Yeah, downgrade that CPU a bit. The Core 2 Duo processors can be overclocked to hell and back with the right motherboard and cooling. Some exceeding 3.0 Ghz.

15. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

I prefer to not overclock unless needed because I'd hate for any problems to occur. Just don't like putting all that stress on my CPU or risk having it overheating again. The 4mb cache is the main reason why I'd get the E6600 over the E6300 or E6400.

16. deusexaethera

I'd get the better CPU rather than the better video card, because it's a lot easier to replace an old slow video card with a new badass one. AGP was around for what, ten years before it went away? You can't say that about any CPU socket.

17. Doc Brown

18. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

would the PSU I listed above be suffient enough?

If it's that much better in quality, I have no objection in spending $20 more.

19. Doc Brown

I can only tell you that I think so, but I would wait for some more experienced opinions on this.

I'm good with pc hardware, but not monitors.

20. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

I'm sure I'm going to get everything I listed above right now besides my mobo. I know you guys have said it's a good one, but I have a friend saying I should get a good mobo too like getting a good PSU since it's part of the core of my computer. Will the mobo I have listed do everything I should need it to do? Or should I look into getting a better one.

I'd really like this computer to be able to play any MMORPG out there right now at the max resolution and settings, since I don't play on playing WoW forever.

BTW, does anyone know the business days/hours of newegg and clubit? I'd like to put in my order soon so they can ship it out to me asap. I'm just not sure if they are open on Saturday and Sundays. If they are not, I would rather wait till monday before putting my order in and looking into more parts.

21. Ham Sammich

Ham Sammich New Member

My 1100 dollar computer plays WoW fine. 1gb ram 120gig HD nvidia Geforce 7660 GS

22. sowapowa

sowapowa New Member

23. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

24. deusexaethera

They're on par with each other.

25. Doc Brown

OCZ has gotten a good name for itself, but if I was going to bet on one or the other, I would bet that Corsair would be the one to hold up better.
    And the XMS stuff is working really well with Core 2 Duo builds.