gaming pc build (eventually a HTPC too?) HALP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sffitzge, Dec 21, 2009.

1. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

Currently I own a samsung 32" 720p tv that I have in my bedroom and will use for the monitor (although I plan on buying a larger 1080p tv in the near future)

I'm trying to put together a pc that will be able to run AutoCad 3d as well as newer fps video games, and in the future HD videos/shows that I have downloaded

I've been looking at the i5 vs the i7 and i've been reading that the i7 is better for "productivity", whatever that means, but the i5 is better for gaming, here is the build i am looking at

i5-750 $200
    coolermaster hyper 212 $29
    gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P $184
    G.Skill eco series 4GB (2X2GB) 240-pin $97
    HD 5850 $310
    Antec EarthWatts 750W $100
    HDD any cheap 500GB with decent reviews (whatever is the best deal when i buy)

total about $970

looking for a case that doesn't look cheap but without all the christmas lights (as I will eventually keep it in my living room)

what are your thoughts? go ahead and kill it, and is the i5 that much better than the i7 for gaming or can i go with the i7 and get similar results? I'm looking for a computer I can use comfortably for the next 4 yrs

if you have a better set up for the same/less feel free to start with that instead of this