Gaming Notebooks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skankin', Jun 3, 2008.

1. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

I am going to college next year and I am currently in the market for a gaming notebook before the fall. Anyone know anything about them? I have read there are ways to build your own and stuff like that, but does anyone know any really good deals? I am looking to spend under $2000 or so.

I figure I can spend $2,000 on my next laptop and then sell my current Toshiba with Ubuntu on it to my friend for $400, then use the $400 to buy a new graphics card and 2 new hard drives for my gaming desktop and be set.

I was looking at this Gateway:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8780198&type=product&id=1204332501169

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Gaming and laptops generally do not go together. Save your money and get a "gaming" desktop, then buy a lower end laptop for your school work.

3. Skankin'

I have a gaming desktop, I really just need to upgrade the graphics card in it (it has an 8600GTS) and put some more Hard drive space in it. I would like a powerful laptop that I can take across campus or to the local LAN center there.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Be honest with yourself; are you really going to be gaming in the student center? I doubt it. Who goes there except to study, anyway? You'll just annoy people with your gaming noises, even if you've got the computer muted.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i recommend against it. i actually like gateway notebooks, but I recommend a m-series 15.4" for school. You should be able to get a great one for $700-900.

I carried a Gateway 650XL (16.1" screen -- biggest available at the time, with a desktop P4 processor) for the first two years of college and it was simply waaaaay too big. I finished the last two years with a 12.1" Asus. It was ultra-portable but battery life sucked bfdd, and intel gma blows chunks.

15.4" is the perfect compromise between functionality and transportability.

6. deusexaethera

You like Gateway? When the hell did that happen?

What do you think of Intel's newish X1300 onboard graphics?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think gateway makes good notebooks. They have for at least the last 6 years. Considering that I've owned three of them in that time should be an indication that i like them.

the x1300 and gma950 are still shit. You can go get a $40 discrete card that runs circles around them. why limit yourself to a budget chipset and get shitty video when you can get a better mobo and a better card for the same price, if not just a smidge more.

8. deusexaethera

Right, I should've checked the telescope that I have pointed at the back window of your house. :rolleyes:

Considering your unfettered distaste for (seemingly) anything besides Lenovo, it comes as a surprise that you like Gateway.

9. Nguyen89

Nguyen89 I recycle gold. OT Supporter

i recommend against it as well. i spend about 2k on a gaming laptop (asus g1) which is a good laptop. but i would have rather spent that on upgrading or getting a new gaming desktop and just having a laptop for school work purposes. but if you're really looking into one try finding a retailer that sells the Asus G1 its pretty good

10. deusexaethera

Totally off-point, but is it true that "Nguyen" is pronounced "Wen"? My dentist's name is Nguyen, and she insists it all gets boiled down to "Wen". Why all the extra letters?

11. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

12. Skankin'

I saw the CPU was slow too, but it has dual hard drives and a decent graphics card, Gateway sells them with better CPU's direct.

For my current gaming computer, I am just going to upgrade the hard drives to dual 500GB Seagate 32mb drives and the graphics to a 9800GTX. Then I want a decent notebook simply for the portability to go to their rooms across campus. I'm not that worried about how much better the desktop can be, just that I can take it to their rooms and play with decent FPS. My current laptop with an ATi X1200 chokes on Counter-strike source at 800x600.

13. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Yeah, its pronounced "wen." Maybe the extra letters are because its a Polish name.:mamoru:

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

I didn't check but will you still be in budget if you get a better CPU through Gateway?

if so, by all means get a faster one.

some games will be fine on that T5550, but demanding games will benefit from a faster processor obviously.

15. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Gaming notebooks? Clevo resellers are where it's at. Alienware, Falcon Northwest, etc, used to resell Clevos.

Sager still does. http://www.pctorque.com

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

17. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Hmmm interesting. I used to have a dentist by that name too. She relocated recently, but not sure to where.

18. deusexaethera

If her name was Maggie Nguyen, she moved to VA.

19. Anandamide

Anandamide New Member

I would suggest this notebook for under 2k :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220306

The card is decent HD 3650 mobile 3d mark 06 score ~ 3400.

There is a big disparity with mobile vid cards. You have the 8600 Gt, the 3650, the 9600 GS in about the same class. The 8700 GT a bit above. And then the 8800m GTS and the 8800m GTS in a class of their own. The GTX has a 3d mark 06 score around 9000 depending on the processor.

If you can spend more and want a better vid card the go for Sager.

xoticpc.com is where it;s at. Especially the NP5973 with an 8800m GTX. That bitch will run you about $2500 though and is 17 in.

I agree that 15.4 might be better. I'm going to med school in the fall and need a new notebook. I was considering the Sager but it's supposed to be loud as fuck and I don't know if 17in/battery life/portability with the GTX is a good idea for life in the classroom.

I think a new15.4 inch notebook is coming out soon. Edge at pcmicroworks.com

Not sure when it's being released though. Probably not until after August.

:dunno: