Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by squink, Oct 29, 2007.

1. squink

squink New Member

I am currently looking for a gaming laptop. it does not have to be the top of the line. I would like to have a laptop that can play half life episode 2 on high setting. My budget is between 1000 - 1500

2. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

3. Krazy

Krazy OT Supporter

Any dual core with a 512mb video card would do.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

should not be hard.

5. squink

squink New Member

Thank you for the advices, I check out the iBUYPOWER as well as a laptop with a graphic card with 512 MB.

6. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Actually no ... Dual-Core is useless when it comes to games. No game to date can utilize two processors (Which is basically what dual-core is).

If you want a gaming laptop, goto AlienWare.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ROFL NO!

8. Brandon

Brandon New Member

lol ... well I will throw in I have never used one of their's. Just heresay from friends/some reviews. I guess I'll accept being wrong on that one.

9. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Alienware makes great computers. You pay for having that little head on your computer.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

bullshit. They resell generic components. On the desktop end, you're paying someone else to build your machine. You can get the same for less from your local shop. On the laptop end, they don't do jack shit. They resell generic whitebox notebooks. You're paying a shitload of money for their logo and for someone to gently seat the cpu, memory, and harddrive in a pre-built notebook chassis. The same chassis can be purchased seperate for signifigant discounts.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dual-core is as useful for gaming as it is for any other application. Just because you're running a single heavy application in the foreground doesn't mean there aren't a couple dozen light background tasks that are cranking away as well, and having two CPUs for them to use means they all only have to stand in line half as long to get back into the CPU to do their thing.

12. Brandon

Brandon New Member

I was taking the question towards strictly gaming. No game supports dual-cpus, so in reality its not worth it to spend the extra money in hopes for better gaming unless your day-to-day stuff involves using applications where it would actually be used.

13. Neuman

Neuman New Member

so are you recommending a p4 or what?

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ignore him. core2duo > *.

15. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I've heard many horror stories over Alienware reliability and customer support. That may have changed after Dell, but I'd be wary.

16. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Don't get an older cpu. The Core2Duo's typically outbenchmark the older CPUs even on games and they run cooler and use less power. The only reason to not get a C2D is if you're cheap and/or retarded. Based on your budget and the way you've responded in this thread I'm gonna have to say you're neither and you'll want to stay away from anything that isn't C2D.

17. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Regardless of the comments above, if you want a strictly gaming rig, you don't need a dual-core. If you have the extra money to blow, sure go for it, why not. But don't expect your games to run as if you have 2 processors, because it won't happen, unless you are not playing something so graphic intensive, I have never played HL2 ... but I doubt it compares to the requirements of BF2 (Which is what I would base my argument on)

My workstation is a Duo Core 2.2 with 2 gigs of RAM, because I tend to run alot of shit during the day. But I'll take my P4 3ghz at home used strictly for gaming (Im on the computer enough during the day working, so I'll play bf2 for an hour or so to relax) over my workstation anyday.

But another thing to factor in is that it is a laptop. Everyone above is right, they will cool alot better and use less juice. I have a Thinkpad G41 that I use here every once in a while in my other office. Its a 3.2ghz and it gets fucking hot and sucks the juice right out of the battery. So that is something to consider.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  18. JaJae

JaJae New Member

If you're buying a laptop, you shouldn't use a desktop processor.. especially if all you're concerned about is half life 2. There is absolutely no sane reason to suggest getting a P4 over a Core 2 Duo other than someone has an outdated computer and is trying to justify it. The C2D will perform better, get better battery life and run cooler making your laptop last a lot longer. You'll also have a modern chipset. You can't even find a new laptop with a P4 in it anymore because there's absolutely no market of retards looking to buy laptops.

Even if you were able to find a dated/used laptop with a P4, it would have an outdated chipset, slower memory and a shitty graphics card compared to what you could get for your money.

19. deusexaethera

So you run all your games in DOS, eh?

20. deusexaethera

Good luck finding a modern CPU that doesn't have two or more cores, though.

21. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Doesn't everyone???

22. deusexaethera

Not since 1997 or so...

There's a lot of shit running in the background on any computer, regardless of whether you have a million windows open or just one fullscreen game open. All that background shit needs to get run too, or else the computer will crash. Multiple cores can help reduce game lag due to that overhead.

23. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Your right, I'm not saying otherwise. Personally, I have not noticed a notable difference in games between my P4 and a Duo. What I have been doing wrong is trying to compare using a desktop and BF2 with all settings maxed out. This guy wants a laptop for HL2 (Which as we all know is not remotely comparable to BF2 in regards to recommended specs).

I'll quit playing devil's advocate now and as I said above, a Duo-Core would be the smart choice for a laptop for what he wants. Actually it would be smarter no matter what you want to use it for in a laptop.

I built my P4 machine at home for approx $0, hence why I don't use a Duo-Core, because I didn't care enough to buy one. Plus, I have not noticed ANY lag at all with it because all I use it for is pretty much BF2, and it exceeds the recommended specs by far.