Gamers - Any reason I SHOULDN'T install Win2000 Server?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by egotrip, Feb 5, 2003.

1. egotrip

egotrip Submit

I'm not a big PC gamer, but I like to play a game every now and then. I feel that I need to install 2000 Server cause I'm running XP right now and having all kinds of problems with IIS. So I was thinking that if I have a nice stable server environment to run it on it wouldn't give me so much trouble.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there is any reason I shouldn't install Server. I know I should be able to use all the average softwares, but I'm not real sure how games handle on that OS. Any info. would be appreciated.

2. egotrip

egotrip Submit

thats what I was afraid of. I was definitely planning to use IIS 5, I've been using 6, but now that I've read up on it a bit I realized that it lacks in some areas compared to 5.

thanks r00tman.

3. carlin

carlin Guest

:uh: IIS 6 is only on .net server not on win XP (IIS v5.1), which is the just a variant of 5.0

4. egotrip

egotrip Submit

I installed IIS spearately from XP...I was pretty sure that it was 6

5. carlin

carlin Guest

ok...first off all I am guessing u have XP pro and not home(because home doesn't have IIS, not even on the CD)....now xp pro has IIS but only on the install CD and the IIS it has if 5.1....unless microsoft made a custom verion of XP just for u :rolleyes:

if u want to check just go to the IIS mmc (adminsitrative tool >> internet information service) and then "help" >> "about internet information services"

6. egotrip

egotrip Submit

sooo....your saying that its totally impossible for someone to get IIS 6 from the server cd or download it from the internet and install it with XP Pro?

not everyone plays by the rules.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Apache > IIS :o

8. egotrip

egotrip Submit

yeah, I'm gonna go back to 2000, XP was more "friendly" for the wife, but I guess she'll just have to deal with 2000, haha.

Acutally I installed Apache the other day, after I uninstalled IIS. It was a bit confusing at first, but after I read through the config file and such it seemed pretty nice. Sure would be nice if there was like a gui type interface with it instead of having to edit the config files.....or am I missing something?

9. egotrip

egotrip Submit

ughhh, i also remembered i wanted to run exchange server on there. damn, guess I just need to get another computer for a server.

10. Penguin Man

Hmm, apache on Linux has a gui config program, not sure about the Windows version.

11. Penguin Man

Someone really ought to write a GUI for doing that, wouldn't be too hard...