Gameplan for detailing my black 350z tommorow..

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by StuDLei, Oct 9, 2008.

1. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

Tommorow Im going to prepare my care for the winter. Been looking forward to this for a long time(been in Iraq). Anyways heres what Im planning on doing...let me know if you have any advice..

I plan on washing it first at my local carwash(where you spray it yourself) just to get it pretty much clean. Then I plan on washing it again with ONR that I just bought for the first time. Then I will clay it with Meguiars clay using ONR again as a lubricant. Then do I need to wash it again? Then I will go over the whole car in Meguiars Scratch-X. I know that there are better scratch removers but Im scared to use a PC on my car. I've done a whole car before with scratch x and didn't really think it was that hard to do. Then I will wax with Meguiars NXT 2.0. Stoners glass cleaner and Rain-x the windows.

Optimum sent me a free bottle of there wax too and I have a question... Ive use NXT before and really like it minus the fact that it doesn't seem to last very long. Would it be beneficial to go over it with the Optimum wax that is according to the bottle a carnuba wax after the NXT? Or what about just using that instead of NXT altogether?

Any thoughts?

2. StuDLei

3. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Man I know the NXT wont make it through the Winter, but Im not all that certain the Optimum will either, being in Ne.
    I think I would opt for more of a pure sealant, or even Collinite 845 or 476. Im not sure why your even attempting the polishing stage at this point. Wash, clay, (No additional wash needed, unless theres a lot of fallout. At a minimum, clean it up with a QD/NRWS) clean the paint (minimum) then seal. Why dont you wait until she wakes up after Winter, then do a complete detail? That will give you some time to consider a PC as well.

4. StuDLei

Couple questions on your post that Id like you to clarify for me if you would. What do you mean by alot of fallout? You suggest wash, clay, clean the paint(with what), then seal(do you mean wax?).

I know the NXt will probably not make it all through the winter, but regardless it needs to be waxed before winter and I can always do it again during the winter if I want. I have the car bay available to do this. I don't think Id ever consider using a PC on my car for the first time for obvious reasons.

Wait, now that I think about it, did you think I was going to store this car during the winter??

5. StuDLei

Why did you ask me "why Im even considering the polishing stage at this point?"

6. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I think excel is referring to the amount of correction Scratch X provides coupled with the timing being just before winter. Kind of a lose/lose, you are only slightly improving the finish by hand with those products and it will be moot once the heavy rain/snow starts. But I'm only assuming.

And +1 for Collinite 845, best sealant for over winter protection. I think the summer heat breaks it down faster, but in a colder climate 4-5 months isn't unusual.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Which Optimum Wax? Opti-Seal or Optimum Car Wax?

You can use either over NXT, and if you apply every 6-8 weeks as weather permits (using ONR will make washing in the garage an option), you should be fully protected this winter.

Get a PC this spring. Seriously.

8. StuDLei

Well heres what I did and my results.

The car is black like I said and the paint is in pretty rough condition even though I do wax it fairly regularly. Anyways, I washed with ONR which for the first time I was impressed and the simplicity/results. After that I used Meguiars clay bar and Meguiars QD as a lube. Then for the hell of it I polished with Meguiars polish. I had it from a couple years ago and had never used it. I know it probably wasn't worth it but I wanted to try it out since I had it. It was the polish that is actually "step 2" that you can buy at any auto parts store. After that I used optimum car wax(not opti-seal). Optimum sent me a small bottle for free with ONR. The spray nozzle didnt work so I had to put it in a different spray bottle and I ran out just as I finished waxing the car. I like it for its ease of use.

Overall my results were pretty good but I have a question. This has happened to me lately when I wax. It seems really oily...to the point where you can't wipe it off if you know what I mean. Is this because it just needs time to cure or what? Its really frustrating because you can keep wiping and wiping and it doesn't come off. Any suggestions or is this normal?

And is a PC orbital? And an orbital is reasonably safe compared to a rotary correct? Im really interested in doing this in the spring. Any good links of vids for a demonstration on how to use a rotary? Thanks guys.

9. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Agreed. They aren't scary at all to use and the newfound car detailing is SO much better than what you will accomplish by hand, much faster.

What do you mean by "rough condition" anyway? Is it rough because it is swirling? All the wax in the world won't fix that. A PC will definitely help in that one.

Black cars a PITA, I quickly learned to not be OCD or you'll go insane VERY fast! :noes:

10. Scottwax

If OCW is smearing or oily, you are using too much. Just a spritz per panel, you don't need to drench it. Should take no more than a 1/2 oz of product per vehicle.

The only real way to damage your paint with a PC is to drop it on the car or have a pad come apart (which is very rare) and not lift off immediately.

11. StuDLei

Okay I guess was using too much then. Another question... Would there be any advantages of putting on a couple more layers of opti wax? It was so simple to put on I could easily put on another couple coats. If so, how long should I wait in between coats... does it take time to "cure" or what?

12. Scottwax

You can put on a second coat immediately, the main benefit will be that it ensures full coverage. Then the next couple times you wash the car, put on another coat.

13. StuDLei

Is a PC a rotary or an orbital? What the advantages/disadvantages of either?

14. Original

Original OT Supporter

orbital, can't fix deep scratches but it does everything else just fine and won't burn your paint like a rotary can.

15. StuDLei

thanks