Game Cube

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YipMan_Style, Sep 25, 2002.

1. YipMan_Style

YipMan_Style Guest

There are 6 pages of X Box vs PS2, and I'm not going to read them.

Can someone comment on Game Cube? I know all the features and differences on X Box/PS2/Cube.

I decided on Cube because it's cheaper and I don't need the DVD, etc.

I'm looking for comments on controller feel, quality, problems, or no problems, etc. User's perspective.

Late,

2. egbok

egbok Old Dirty Bastard

I like the Game Cube's controllers better. Got it when it first came out and have no problem whatsoever. Some of the games are in 480p, and they look great on my 16X9 TV.

3. I got the Cube before I got my PS2. The controller is by far the most comfortable controller i have ever held. To me its better than the Dual Shock 2. The graphics are awsome and all around its a great system. That and the games kick ass!

4. m4m4 l0n9

m4m4 l0n9 Well-Known Member

IMO..

PS2
    XBox
    Gamecube

5. Tintdamax

Tintdamax A Sly Stallone stunt double with rocky career move

Gamecube is the best hardware you can buy. The controller is of better quality, the graphics are just as good as the XBox (if you dont believe me check out RE and StarFox), the games are just better made. There is hardly any slowdown, ever. The load times are shorter, the games have more depth, it is obvious that there was more time spent on GC games than ps2 or XBox. The downside, however, is the game selection. There is no GT3, GTA3, SOCOM. The game selection at this time cannot compare to ps2 or Xbox. But if you love sports game and adventure games such as Mario Sunshine, Starfox, then get GC.

6. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

I dont' buy large quanity of games, I usually research well into a game I'm planning to purchase so I'm sure that I purchase only quality games. The GC has never really been in the fore as a system I'd consider picking up but I'm starting to give it some thoughts. Like many I already own the PS2 looking to supplement with another system. Xbox or GC.. hmmm..

7. Tintdamax

Tintdamax A Sly Stallone stunt double with rocky career move

If its a choice between XBox and Gamecube then there is no question. You have to get GC. The only real debate would be between GC and PS2.

8. Terminator

Terminator Guest

I posted my reply at Xbox vs PS2. I'll post same comment here:

I got GameCube for christmas last christmas, and it is because I am a loyalty Nintendo fan and I have love for the game of Mario, Zelda, Metriod, and several Nintendo Classic I may have left out here. These games are just fun for me to play with and usually come with amazing game secret that can be unleashed every time you beat the game, just like when you beat Metroid, Bounty Hunter strip off one piece at a time until you learn that it is actual a woman!

I got few GameCube games (Pikmin, Spiderman, Crazy Taxi, Madden 2002, and Star War Rogue Leaders) and I have found all of the games fun and enjoyable to play.

Recently, I had to wrestle with decision whether to go with Xbox or PS2. I do realize that PS2 have more title selection than XBox does at this time, but it is because PS2 had some edge thank to its potiental capable of accepting PS1 game with several expectation of some PS1 game requiring PS1 controller to be used on PS2 system and another that I can not recall. So I had to give XBox some benefit of the doubt on its limited selections of game title. Another thing I had to consider is that Sony is already in planning stage of developing PS3 so I was afraid I could end up purchasing PS2 only to see that PS3 get released shortly. So I went ahead and purchased Xbox with Halo as my first game for Xbox console.

Needless to say, I am impressed with Xbox not because of how the game is played, but overall that I benefit as owner of Xbox such as DVD player, online interactive, and etc.

I have no negative or positive comment against PS1/PS2 and I used to own PS1 in the past, and I have found them enjoyable to own and play as well.

At this rate, GameCube is getting triple number of software companies signing up with them because their CD hold more size than PS2 and Xbox (GC 1.35gb vs PS2/Xbox @ 650mb) and GC have made it easier for software companies to design game when it used to be very difficult to do SNES and N64. GameCube is expected to release at least 300 new game titles by end of 2nd quarter next year, which is half time more than PS2 and Xbox planned released.

So there is no negative in any platform should you decide to purchase GC or PS2 or Xbox because you will find all platform enjoyable to own and play with.

9. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Active Member

Sorry, I had to comment on the ignorance here. The PS2 and XBOX are both DVD based systems. Most of the games being released on PS2 and all the games on XBOX are using standard DVD format which holds 4.7gb vs. the GameCube's proprietary 1.5gb mini-dvd format.

10. sirsexy9

sirsexy9 GSUS OT Supporter

I look at it like this:
    if you play only buy your self buy a ps2
    if you play sometimes/rarely with friends mainly on your own buy a xbox
    if you play a majority with friends get a gc

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Man, ive got to correct both of you.
    The GCN, as stated uses 1.5gig propriatary DVD format. The PS2 uses a 4.7gig single layer DVD format. And the X-Box uses a dual layer DVD format, with 2 4.7gig layers, also refered to as "DVD9" for the (over) 9 gigs of storage it can hold.

Also if the GCN has SOOO many developres lined up, where are the titles? Seconed quarter releases of next year is a while away, and there is alot that can happen from then to now, but even still, int he time frame of a console, thats a short period of time. And so far i only count about 10 titles between now and then. Thats alot of discrepency from 200+. More or less 300 titles...especially when they are all unanounced.

Plus, the X-Box has one of the best launches for a console in history as far as number of game titles, and games sold goes. And they have been consistant with title releases. Slow consistant, but consistant none the less, and there are some great games out, and some greater ones on the way.

Personally, i look at the marvelous HDTV supprt of the XBox, combined with 5.1 real time audio output...and a decent list of solid titles, and great future titles on the way...its definatly the system for me.

That said, i own a PS2, an a GameCube (along with my XBox)...so go figure.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2002
  12. Jackie Treehorn

Semantics.... the XBOX and PS2 are both capable of playing Dual-Layer DVD's. Whether or not all the games are single layer or dual layer I dont know, but they are essentially the same format.

No wonder they say arguing over the Internet is like competing in the special olympics.

13. Chill72

Chill72 Guest

This is the most retarded comment I have heard regarding video games ever:slap:

14. vitamin

vitamin Guest

Is Metroid Prime any good?? Does it have the same flava??

15. Jackie Treehorn

Reviews say it's worth buying the GC for. Certainly looks great. I haven't seen it first hand though...

16. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

I have them all and I really like the gamecube. The graphics are nice, the games are fun and the controllers are comfortable. All the systems have their strong points, unfortunately the GC's strong points could be argued against. Its selection isn't very strong, that's the main problem. You could compare the graphics to the X-Box, I'd say you could compare them to the PS2, but if the PS2 came out with more titles that looked like FFX, then the PS2 could be included in this. The controllers are comfortable which is good for long gaming sessions and the gamecube also has all sorts of weird gadgets that are for sale (GC to GBA adapter), which are always cool in their own way.

17. Now is the best time to pick up a GC if you haven't decided yet. The system is just starting to hit its stride and all the heavyhitting titles are starting to roll out. Metroid Prime is most likely going to be Game Of The Year, there is the RE series, Zelda, Mario Kart Online in 2003 at at least 1 major announcement Nintnedo hasn't let out of the bag yet.

18. Jackie Treehorn

I'm looking forward to Mario Golf and Tennis for the Cube. I always thought those were a lot of fun on N64.

19. sirsexy9

sirsexy9 GSUS OT Supporter

yeah good call i love mario tennis