Gaining weight on dorm food

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by n99nyrwg, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

I'm doing pretty good on the christophers routine and cooking what I need to eat. I stick pretty much to a lot of hamburger, chicken, pork, tuna, milk, and cottage cheese.

The problem is starting pretty soon I'm going to be on dorm food. Any of you had to do something similar or any tips on how to keep up a good protein diet? I plan on still keeping 12oz cans of tuna around and eating 1 a day atleast probably.

I don't want to get a George Forman because those are a pain to have in a dorm. they smell it up and they are a pain to clean if you don't have a kitchen sink.

2. Equipped

Equipped Guest

Sounds like tuna will be your new friend. I would eat a few cans a day though to make sure I was getting enough protein. Do you have a microwave? If you do just get that rice in a bag and mix w/a can of tuna. ~600 cals, ~35g protein

BTW, tuna will stink up the dorm just as bad as a Foreman cooking chicken.

3. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

uhh I used a lot of protein shakes when i was in the dorms....and i would pocket a shitload of hard boiled eggs from the cafeteria every day. I kept a mini fridge and microwave in my room so I always had top ramen, sandwhiches, and cottage cheese on hand. Its not too hard if you make it a priority and make sure your roomate doesn't find it amusing to hide your keys and other items in your protein powder.

4. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

I've been pretty good about making sure the tuna doesn't smell. I rinse of the cap as soon as I eat it and put it in the garbage, then as soon as I'm done eating it I rinse out the can real well and put it in the trash. So I don't think that will be a problem. Especially since the trash won't be in my room.

I guess I'll just have to hope they have a lot of chicken sandwiches or other type of meat. It wont' be the best kind of meat, but it's all i got. Plus lots of tuna like you said.

5. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Yeah i was thinking I might have to start using a shake. I'm doing fine without it now, getting all the protein I need without having to use a shake. But it doesn't seem like I'll be able to do that in the dorms.

6. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

yeah protein powder is gonna be a must, but its doable. actually, if i had to bulk, the cafeteria is where its at since its all you can eat, and you can steal shit for later, all on a meal plan.

7. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

if only they spent as much on 4th grade spelling

:mamoru:

8. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Thanks for all the info. I get 3 meals a day all I can eat. I don't drink pop or anything but with caffeine, so I don't have to worry about that. Hopefully I can steal a good amount of stuff and bring it back to my room.

9. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Don't you think 3 meals a day is fine? I eat a lot at each meal. Plus I will still be eating cottage cheese, tuna, and other random stuff on my own and also probably Protein shakes.

10. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

You'll need to count calories and monitor weight to find out.

Just quietly though, I'd aim for atleast 3 solid meals.

11. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

I count calories now, always take between 4000-5000 a day with around 500g of protein. I only eat 3 meals, but I have snacks of tuna and cottage cheese.

I guess the main thing of worrying me is it's going to be a lot harder to count calories. So I guess I'll just ahve to monitor my growth.

12. blink 17

blink 17 New Member

jw i have one yr more left of highschool and baylor is one of the places im looking at but i have not visited it yet..
    whats the gym like up there and how did u like it in general?and also the girls?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.