GAIM problem, on solaris

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Euclid, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Euclid

Euclid New Member

So my new office computer is a SunRay which is a thin client type computer that lets me log on to a central server. The SunRay has a sound card in it and a little speaker and I can hear the audio in most applications, like for example I can enjoy a Strong Bad Email in firefox with sound, no problem.

Gaim sounds were broken. I managed to fix the problem by using a custom sound command string in Gaim preferences, specifically

play --device=/tmp/SUNWut/dev/utaudio/6 %s

will play the file %s. So what is my problem? I want to use an environment variable instead:

play --device=$AUDIODEV %s

$AUDIODEV is set by the system and points to /tmp/SUNWut/dev/utaudio/6 right now. The problem is that when I log on to another machine, like the SunBlade in my old office, it will need to use /dev/audio instead of that funky utaudio device path, and it will break. Also if they reboot the SunFire server, my machine could be assigned a different $AUDIODEV path.

CLIFFS
    How do I use an environment variable in the Gaim->Tools->Preferences->Sounds->Sound Command string?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Set your .profile to change that env variable depending on the server you log in on.

Add something like
    Code:
    if [ `hostname -s` = "machine1" ]
    then
    export AUDIODEV=/tmp/SUNWut/dev/utaudio/6
    elif [ `hostname -s` = "machine2" ]
    export AUDIODEV=/dev/audio
    else 
    export .....
    fi

Why are packages installed in the /tmp file system anyway?

3. Euclid

Euclid New Member

It's a weird sun thing, I dunno. The thing under /tmp is some kind of virtual audio device for this thin client.

The problem is not that the variable is not set. The problem is that GAIM does not seem to be parsing it.

When I use the command "play --device=$AUDIODEV %s" in Gaim, the sounds do not work.

But I know the variable is set correctly.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

So GAIM isn't using your env, expected. Then what does GAIM source then? Or do you just click through the GUI? Anything under ~/.gaim?

Or /etc/libao.conf?

5. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I don't understand the question. I set the preferences using the GUI, where there is a little box that I type in the command to play sounds. I want to use an env variable for the device parameter of that command but it doesn't work.

I am just a user, so I won't be able to do any major system changes (like editing anything in /etc).

6. Euclid

Euclid New Member

Why is it "expected" that GAIM won't use my environment? I expected otherwise. :hs:

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

The question is, can you set the preferences in the conf files rather than through the GUI. I don't use GAIM, so I wouldn't know where these files are.

And many 3rd party apps ignore the user's env and set their own, which are the files that we are looking for.

8. Euclid

Euclid New Member

Yeah it has some XML files with the stored prefs. I guess I could swap them out with machine specific configs upon login...