G5 Logic Board

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by adum, Nov 13, 2006.

1. adum

adum Wine & Tech

We'll just left the Apple store on fifth avenue and according to the "genius" he thinks my logic board is done. Estimated repair cost $900-1000. Fantastic :bigthumb:

I've owned macs for years and love them but fuck how much do they have to jack up their price on parts, I mean it's gotta be at least a 3-400% markup. It can't cost Apple $800 to make a logic board in China?

I need to rant, thanks for listening. Anyone want to buy my G5 as is? It makes a great paperweight. I might be parting it out so that's always an option.

2. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

no applecare? :hs:

3. adum

adum Wine & Tech

Expired. The response I got from my two friends who are techs at the apple store told me a majority of problems occur after the expiration of applecare. They both said they are designed that way, take it for what it is. I don't know I'm just really pissed off right now. Investing over $2000 into a machine and having it worth nothing in the blink of an eye can really leave you bitter. :wtc:

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

buy one and replace it yourself

5. adum

adum Wine & Tech

cheapest I found it was around $700 and the "genius" said "it may not be the logic board, it may be the processor and we have no way of knowing." Spending $700 on a logic board only to find out that wasn't the problem will only lead me closer to insanity. I'm going to try and part it out for as much as I can and get a Macbook.

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

sorry man, thats rough :(

7. adum

adum Wine & Tech

thanks for understanding that's all i wanted was a little sympathy and maybe a new computer? :)

8. Dysfnctnl85

Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

Well since they don't make the G5s anymore, it kinda makes sense that they would charge an arm and a leg.

Sounds like an excuse for a new Mac Pro though :).

9. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

It's not just that they don't make them anymore. A brand new intel board from apple wo uld probably be the same price or more.

10. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

Can you explain what the problem is that you are experiencing?

11. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

talk to you friends who are techs. if it is a dual processor with separate processors they can tell you if it is a mlb or cpu. They could also get it running depending on the issue.

12. Fearan

Fearan Guest

There are some sites that will fix it for a lot less than Apple support.

13. adum

adum Wine & Tech

can you elaborate a little bit more in depth. I want a gameplan before I walk in there again. thanks.

14. adum

adum Wine & Tech

we'll it basically started about a week ago with a horrible finder crash. I restarted and the computer just got stuck on the gray loading screen and the fans would kick in (as they should). After doing several hard resets it loaded and worked but continued to freeze at various times it never occured at the same time. I would be online and all of a sudden frozen. After my next restart the computer wouldn't start up. First thing I did was backup my drive to an external drive using my powerbook and disk mode. Then I popped in the CD (10.2, yea I know ugh) I reinstalled the OS. It worked and I did several software updates. Then I found a 10.3 Disk I had and installed that. After doing that the computer would boot up however finder would just keep refreshing and I couldn't do anything on the machine. I tried installing Tiger but kept getting Kernal panics even before installation began. I did several troubleshooting steps. I reseated the RAM, removed my 3rd party ram, changed slots and tried different combinations of 3rd party and Apple ram, nothing. Tried running a hardware test but I would always get an Invalid Memory Access error, after looking that up online and researching it, it appeared I had bad memory. I bought a new Drive and installed it. I tried installing Tiger again and same deal as before, kernel panic. Took it to the Apple Store 2 days ago and in the beginning it was acting weird however he got it to boot of his external firewire drive that acted as the system drive and the computer was functional. He then installed Tiger via his firewire drive, the install went smoothly. We restarted the machine and upon the Starting Mac OS loading screen, the progress bar locked up at about 10% and then again the fans kicked in. He said all signs point to the logic board but I'm a little hesitant to believe that since the problem appears to be dynamic and I would assume a bad logic board would be a static problem. Any help from you guys would be great. Sorry if my thoughts are kind of scattered but you know how this crap can wreck your brain. Thanks :bigthumb:

15. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

talk to you "friends" who are techs. they should know the troubleshooting procedures. I your friends are not "mac genius" but sales people you're at the mercy of the mac genius.

16. adum

adum Wine & Tech

One of them is a creative and the other does installs so he is somewhat of a genius with out a title, in fact I think he is smarter than most of them.

17. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

<---- g4 powermac still going strong

18. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

just get a imac core 2 duo and stick the old powermac g5 drives into exteral cases

19. adum

adum Wine & Tech

i just tried starting it up again and the progress bar almost full loads then it freezes. I popped in the 10.2 disc again and ran disc utility and repaired permissions. So still unable to get passed startup without freezing. Oh also, tried running hardware test again and it gave me an invalid memory access error again along with a SRR0 0000000 code.

20. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

so it boots off an external fw drive? maybe you could borrow one from a friend or purchase a cheapie and see if it is usable. It could be the drive controller on the logic board... you might even be able to use a pci sata card but I would try that last.

21. adum

adum Wine & Tech

yea, I'm going to install 10.4 on one of my external drives and see if it works that way. It worked at the Apple store once but I don't think we could boot off of it a second time. I got my new ram yesterday and it didn't work so that confirms the logic board, at least to my knowledge.