G5 issues...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5SpeedSER, Nov 3, 2008.

1. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Well im running into some issues lately with my powermac g5, its a dual 2ghz version from i think 2004. Anyhow it has a couple of recent issues.

Booting takes 25+minutes sitting at the grey screen with the apple, previously it would take no more than 30 seconds to boot up. Just randomly started happening, pram dead maybe?

Ocassionally itll just act like its overheating and turn all the fans on super high even though the temps look fine.... usually when this happens everything freezes up and i have to pull the power. Its almost as if the video card is locking up, the fan on it is kind of out of balance ocassionally and makes alot of noise.

Finally, it seems like the response from the main hard drive is really bad... when using the operating system it takes a long time for it to respond. The drive is the original one, and only has the operating system on it. Also file transfers to or off of it via network or internal are super slow (1.5k/s ish).

Any ideas?

2. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Well, seems my hard drive was about dead or just needs a reformat. Im going to try that and hope it helps some of this.

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

if boot is taking 25 minutes, you probably need a new hdd, i'd back things up asap before you lose them.

4. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

I figured as much. Gonna work On that later tonight

5. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

def hdd. fan overshoot is because it goes into a freeze cycle trying to fetch data from hdd.

6. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Hmm good stuff. Got a new 500gb drive to replace it coming.
    thinking of replacing the vid card fan to be safe