G35 and 350z

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ww_Crimson, Feb 21, 2008.

1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Anyone have some useful input on either of these cars? I'm considering buying a new (used) vehicle and these are the two that I've been looking at. I test drove a 350z today but it seemed like too cramped of a ride. The doors are really heavy and the visibility out of both the front and rear windshields seemed pretty bad. I sat in a g35 but didn't test drive. I liked that it had rear seats although if anyone sits in them they'd have to be pretty small.

From what I've heard/read the G35 doesn't feel as powerful as the Z when driving, but I'm not looking for a track monster or anything. I do mostly short city driving and would probably be getting an automatic. I'd be coming from a 4cyl-Accord so almost anything I buy would be sportier.

2. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

The rev-up engines have serious oil burning issues, but since you're getting an auto I don't think you should have a problem considering the rev-up only came on manuals. I think there was some model in '06 that has the rev-up with the automatic transmission, but I think it's the anniversary edition or something. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) If you get the '03-'05 auto you'll have the VQ35DE and if you go for the '07+ you'll get the VQ35HR (which I strongly recommend if you can afford it). Other than the oil burning issue, there's really not much that goes wrong with these cars. The 6-speeds have 3rd gear synchro problems, but the auto is a pretty good unit.

What is your price range? Do you not mind having a back seat? If so, you're not gonna find a two seater that's much bigger than a Z in that price range (really any price range, but there are exceptions). So if you felt too cramped in there, look for a different car. The G's back seat is pretty useless, but they're great cars and they can be had for a good price. Have you also considered a GTO? My friend has one and while it's a really big car, it's still fun to drive.

3. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Thanks for the input. The more I think about the G35 the more I realize that the backseat is probably 100% useless, but I also found the G to have much better rear visibility than the Z, I could barely see when I was merging lanes on the freeway. With tint, I'd be scared. The high end of my price range *right now* is about 21000. There are actually a lot of cars I'm considering and I definitely don't want to make a hasty decision. I've thought about 350z, G35, GTO, IS300, RSX-S, and I think a few others... then on the lower end of the spectrum I'm trying to find a used N/A Supra for <13k that way I wouldn't need to trade in my current DD.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The backseat and trunk on the G35 sedan are quite spacious. On the coupe, not so much.

What's this about "rev-up engines"?

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

first I've heard of any problems....

6. neife

neife New Member

I have a 350z. I was stupid when I bought it, but I've learned since. The G35 back seat is perfect for kids or maybe some young girls.

If you need that back seat, get it. Otherwise, I'd say its a matter of tastes/preferences.

Reliable? Yes.
    Snow? Light.
    Rain? Not with stock tires.
    Fun? Hell yea.
    Fast? yes, but go to the track. You'll speed if you aren't watching out.

As for visibility, adjust your wing mirrors so you can barely see the side of your car when you lean toward that mirror. This is what track drivers do. I don't have visibility issues though.

N/A Supra is too old imo if you aren't very mechanical. If you are, this would be a dream project car though.

Are you looking at other 4-doors besides is300? A used Evo or STI?

7. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

Don't waste your time/money on a NA Supra...

8. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

The rev-up engines were in the '05-'06 manual G and Z's. The engine was a revised VQ35 with variable valve timing control on both the intake and exhaust valves, different cams, a different IM, oil pump, and some other internals. They had a bit of a higher powerband too (ie: made more power at high RPMs and less at lower). Many think that the reason they're such oil burners is from excessive blowby caused by incorrect VTC maps, but last I heard this really hadn't been proven.

If you stick with the auto I doubt you'll have a problem....

9. deusexaethera

Interesting. How do ECU maps cause blowby? I thought that was all a matter of whether the rings were seated correctly.

10. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

VTC maps. Supposedly 'blowby' can pass through the intake valves and something to do with the timing causes it in excess. The other theory out there are the piston rings, which were one of the few parts that stayed the same from the old VQ35DE, so that's not proven either. (although there are a few cases of people with old VQ35s having oil burning issues as well....even the FWD VQ35s, though it's not nearly as prevalent).
    I would just go for the '07 and get a VQ35HR. I was at North Texas Nissan the other day and saw brand new '07s going for ridiculously cheap. The base ones were like $23k. For a car that runs low 13s, handles well, has a decent amount of amenities (ie: power windows, HIDs, CD player, etc.) that's a pretty good deal IMO.

11. deusexaethera

What does VTC stand for in this context? (I just said ECU because the VTC maps must be stored in the ECU, regardless of their usage.)

Those cars aren't turboed, are they? I know too much boost pressure can cause blowby on the compression stroke, but I don't know how that would work on a naturally-aspirated engine. Maybe the variable valve timing lets in too much air for the engine to handle given its compression ratio, or something.

12. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Valve timing control. The VQ35s are all N/A from the factory and even my car with the old VQ35DE which doesn't burn oil has quite a bit of PCV blowby, which obviously flows through the intake. I guess some speculation is that the intake cam timing helps this blowby along somehow.

Read the million page thread if you're that interested:
    http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232332&highlight=oil+consumption

13. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

24k on my '06 6spd sedan which is a rev up and I haven't had any problems w/ oil consumption yet. I do tend to get on it occasionally...seems harder on my tires than oil usage. Have read about it a lot on g35driver.com but never noticed low oil when I check the dip stick. I just get the oil changed by the dealer every 4k or so and keep an eye on it.

14. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Ended up buying a GTO. If you guys want pictures they were posted in main forum yesterday and again in my GTO thread in American Muscle just a few minutes ago. The backseats are kind of hard to get into but they're really spacious. I like everything about the car except the stereo.

15. uwofrost

uwofrost New Denver Crew

I got a 06 Z and i have no issues at all. i change the oil every 5k with full synthetic. The cars have the same motor and same chassie. the only difference is the outter apperances ie body and interior of the car. What do you like better is what it comes down to. The 3.5 motor used in both is one of the most reliable motors every year. the G coupe will ride better. the Z will be more sport. for me it came down to finding the color and trim i like. if you like i can post pics.