G35 6mt sedan or Acura TL 6 speed

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by m3m750, Feb 11, 2005.

1. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

I need a new car, must have 4 doors and be fun to drive, under 40 k. I'm thinking one of the above though am open to other suggestions too.

2. Jajibaji

Jajibaji Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

I'm biased, but here's what the general concensus is.

G35 - Spartan interior, excellent engine, RWD = better handling
    TL - IMO better interior, awesome stock sound system, FWD = Torque Steer suck

If you drive spiritedly, then I would recommend the G35, but if you desire a leisurely drive in a car with great power, the TL.

BTW, I have an 03 G35 6MT Sedan. I have a Fujitsubo catback and JWT intake w/Z tube. I love it. My coworker has the new TL, not the manual, but he likes it as well, but then he's a pussy, so...

3. m3m750

That .pretty much sums it up, am I willing to put up with torque steer as a trade off for a better interior, sound system and the cool blue tooth integration.

BTW, I'm keeping my M3 and 911 so I will still have some RWD toys for when the mood strikes for a bit of oversteer

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

g35 > tl in *EVERY* way except that ghey analog clock on the dash. If you ignore the clock, the g35 will kill the tl... performance... styling... handeling... all are owned by the g35.

5. qtipboy

qtipboy They taste like burning!

hmmm good to know, kind of in this same predicament myself, except its for my dad and he wants them in auto

6. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

if you can deal with the FWD drivetrain, i'd say the TL. the G35 sedan just has this look that i can't explain, but it's certainly not a good thing. the interior of the TL comes very close to audi and mercedes fit and finish while the infiniti comes real close to, well a nissan.

both cars are nice. drive both, take the one you feel most comfortable driving.

7. LarryZ

LarryZ i love sticky rice

no shit, g35 6MT for sure

8. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

seeing as how you already have RWD sports cars, whats the use of having another rwd, shitty interior sedan?

the interior of the TL hands down is better than the G35, and exterior styling is just fucking boring on the infiniti. i dont care if it is RWD, no way in hell i would get the G35 sedan over a TL.

but the 6 speed is a must. not only because you will have a manual, but you will get better front brakes, as well as an LSD to help with the tq steer

tl...better stereo, bluetooth, honda reliability, comfy front/rear seats, navigation is better and easier to use, headlights are fucking awesome, no ghey analog clock

9. oakie

oakie my ninja.

the interiors need to be judged by the buyer, not anyone else.

i DO know that there are a lot of engine/FI related problems with the TL... people getting check engine lights all the time and constantly going back to the dealer for many different reasons. you may want to check out a dedicated Honda board to see what issues have been of late. my brother used to work for Acura and saw a lot of the new TL's coming in for motor issues, specifically detonation.

10. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I have never heard that. My step mom has a 2004, and has never had a problem.

i looked around the TL forums at acura-zine, and could not find any recent threads about this sort of problem

11. m3m750

you need to go drive an 05 TL. The interior and features blow the G35 away. If the TL was RWD it wouldn't even be close.

So, as it stands now:

TL, better fit and finish, more interior room and trunk space, better exterior styling (IMHO) better feautres (sound system, voice activated nav and blue tooth integration

G35, great engine, no torque steer

As somebody pointed out, I have 2 RWD sports cars, so I think the plusses of the TL win out this time

12. m3m750

now the next question, is it worth kicking in 300 a month of my own money to get a C55

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've driven one... Not impressed. Decent pep, but I'd much rather have the 6spd G35.

14. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

good thing we didnt ask if you liked driving one.

you arent buying one of these cars

15. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

mercedes recent track record with warranty work is complete shit.

acura/honda is rated one of the best for getting work done (on the offchance you even have to get something fixed)

16. Jajibaji

Both cars are great and fill different niches in the car market. You need to open your eyes and realize that different cars are perfect fits for different people. How boring ass shit would it be if everyone drove the TL? You should continue to sing the praises of the honda/acura brand for they deserve it, but give the other marques a smidge of respect for they have strengths as well.

I have the 6mt G35, and have driven the new TL. In the 30-35k price range, I would consider the TL as a sporty lux car, with the G35 as a lux sports car, imho.

And give me a break, for 300 clams extra, the C55 is a kickass car and I would jump that opportunity in a sec, and YOU would too. If you didn't, you know shit about cars.

m3m750, nice stable if you get the mb. :bigthumb:

17. m3m750

my only problem with the C55 is that it's automatic. I know it's a nice transmission that's been worked by AMG, but still, I really like driving stick. I'd get a new M3 in a heartbeat, but I need 4 doors as we have a kid on the way. Next lease in 3 years will definitely be a new M3, so I need to decide if I want to pay the extra 10k over the next 3 years to drive a really sweet car.

18. Jajibaji

Have you considered the S4? If it's only for three years, it might be worth it. Free maintenance and warranty for those 3 years, plus you get four doors, quattro (not really needed in socal), stay german, and cheaper than the mb. The new M45 might be worth a look at as well.

On a side note, I'm going to assume that your wife/mother of child drives something different than the afore mentioned porsche/m3. I was faced with the same dilemma when our first was born, and traded in my e36 m3 for the g35 sedan and got an fx for the wife. Honestly, I don't take the baby in my car very often at all, and would get a different car today, as the fx handles all the baby duties.

19. m3m750

I don't the the S4 enough to pay out of pocket for it. The GF is going to be trading in her V6 Accord Coupe on an MDX, which will take care of most of the baby stuff, but there will still be enough times when I have to pick him up/drop him off that I won't want to deal with a car seat and a 2 door. I figure by the time he's 3 and can climb in back and get himself into the seat, I can go with the M3.

I was actually pretty set on the G35 till we went to the Acura dealer to test drive the MDX and the salesman pointed out the TL. While I like the drive layout of the G35, I'm really impressed by the interior and features of the TL. The voice activated navigation is great, but what really put it over the top is the blue tooth integration. I spend about 2 hours a day in the car, so that's a huge bonus for me.

20. Jajibaji

Yeah, blue tooth is definitely nice. If it's only for three years, I guess I'd be willing to slum it in a TL :rofl:

21. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I see where you are coming from as far as my opinions on cars, and believe me, Infiniti has a great product. They are reliable, comfortable, luxurious, and sporty. But the problem with buying a seemingly mid sized luxury sports car, is driving experience. And from what I have learned from driving both cars, the G35 sedan (auto and manual) are just not as FUN to drive. I realize the FWD/RWD issue, and since I will NEVER go to an auto-x course (especially if I own a porsche/m3), I dont try to slide around corners, and if I wanted to go racing, I would do it in the sports car I own.

For an everyday car, that you can be comfortable in for long periods of time (I have driven my moms TL on road trips), it is just a VERY comfortable car to be in. The seats are supportive but comfy, the stereo is amazing, the steering is responsive but not fidgity, and the transmission is perfectly smooth. I have been very pleased with the cars Infiniti has come out with recently, because they have come a VERY long way since the time they started up. It is just honda/acura has a history of making an extremely solid/safe car for the everyday person. The TL being a very good example of that.

[/rant]

22. Showtime_III

Showtime_III OT Supporter

Sti or Evo

23. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

not economical, not comfortable, have to service all the time, shitty stereo, no interior options, no interior comfort

stfu noob :gtfo:

24. m3m750

oops, I lied. Guess I haven't driven one since they put the V8 in it. Drove one and really liked it. Just might be willing to pay the extra $120 a month for it. Plus I can get the Avant, which would be perfect for hauling around baby stuff when I need to.

25. Showtime_III

Showtime_III OT Supporter

omg noob, he is buying a sports cars. since when do you concider the mpg, how hard or soft the car rides, and car stereo of a sports car????? and as far as having the serviced all the time....prove it.