GUN G3 magazine pouch

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Uber Para, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Uber Para

Uber Para The price is wrong bitch!

I have five magazines to my G3 (20 round 7.62X51), and I'm looking for some kind of magazine pouch/es to keep these in. The two bags I have on my H-harness right now are too small to keep all the mags in one bag on the left side (which I'd like since since I handle the mags with my left hand).

I'm thinking about buying one of these http://www.stubbygear.com/product.asp?productid=7303 , which seems to be perfect.

Anyone out there with experiences, recommendations and so on?

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

would FAL mag pouches work? i'm not familiar enough with all those .308 rifles and their mags.

3. Uber Para

I'd think so, same ammunition type and the mag holds the same amount of rounds. When I've been looking on my own the description usually says "will hold FAL/G3 magazines".

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Never seen much designed to hold more than two G3 sized mags. Not familiar with CTC manufacturing, but if you can get a good recommendation about their quality, that seems to be the choice.

You could try a M60 feed pouch and see how that works. Have to cook up your own system to keep the mags from rattling around though.

5. footratfunkface

other thing is, with that much ammo on just your left side, what's counterbalancing on the right? you'll fuck yourself up royally if there's no weight on the other side. and that's a big, bulky piece of gear to have strapped to a hip. think about that one for a minute before you get it. 100 rounds of .308 in one single position on your harness. you can't spread it, 2 mags at a time, around your harness the way you would be able to with normal mag pouches. you lose a ton of the flexibility and manueverability that an H or Y harness gives you over a pack when you add one single piece of gear with that much immobile bulk. just some things to think about.

6. Uber Para

Ok, here are some pics of the gun and what I end up with, with the current pouches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah, maybe 5 mags on one side isn't such a great idea after all...now that you mentioned it I came to remember how heavy two mags are taped together. So what about dual mag pouches...recommendations?

7. Uber Para

And I might add, no matter how many/few mags I keep in those pouches they don't fit well at all. The pouch is originally designed for the FNC type mags, so my G3 mags don't like it much at all.

8. Uber Para

Ok, one more post...

What about thigh rig such as this:
    [​IMG]

I'm really keen on having most, if not all, of the magazines on my left side - never tried one of those contraptions though. I will be using this stuff in military type situations where there will be a lot of walking/running involved, so I'm a bit worried about how comfortable those thigh rigs are after a few miles.

9. footratfunkface

i guarantee that having all your weight on the left side will be much worse than any discomfort caused by that thigh rig. you need to learn how to do mag changes from both sides. it's a normal part of any tactical firearms class. it's less convenient, but there is no way in real life to balance the load without mags on both sides. unless you carry a number of genades or something on the right side.

by the way, you may want to take those bipod legs off of there if you don't use them (and i don't imagine you do). they heat up like mad, and they add weight to an already heavy rifle. they're not always easy to take off, but it's worth it if you fire more than 50 rounds at a time.

10. Uber Para

It's not that I can't shift mags from both sides, I've just found it damn awkward, especially lying dow.

Balancing out the load isn't a problem, since all the pouches are pretty much packed solid during patrols. Binoculars, grenades, spare ammo and what not.

I think you're mistaking the handguard for bipod legs here.

Ah well, I think I'll go with the thigh rig and try it out in "cicvilian" conditions before going out into the field (bit of a drag being stuck with that in the middle of the forrest if it's no good).

Thanks for your time guys :)

11. footratfunkface

yeah, for some reason i was looking at the handguards and thinking FAL. when i look now, i don't. ignore my stupidity. yeah, if you've got other stuff that balances out, and it's comfortable to deal with a large pouch, then go for it. i'd rather use two-mag pouches and keep them more flush along my body. you could still do that, and spread them out along your pistol belt, i guess. up to you.

12. footratfunkface

okay, something to think about here, which was brought to my attention by people who know more than me:

if you train yourself to reload with only one hand (meaning, strong hand only), then you're setting yourself up for failure in a real situation. in real life, you won't always have your left hand free. sometimes you'll be up against something, and can't move away from it to get to your mags. your left arm/hand may be injured. you may be prone in a position where something on the ground blocks your entry into the mag pouch. also, that bigass mag pouch has no divisions. so, when you pull one mag out, they're all going to flop over and make it real difficult to get to the next one efficiently. also, if you're a non-retainer (you drop your mags on the ground during mag changes, instead of putting them back in the pouches), then you'll find yourself with a bunch of rattling as your mags become fewer and fewer in that pouch, and the clanking getting louder and louder. if you are a retainer, you'll have a bitch of a time getting mags back in there.

you need to train with both hands in order to perform well in actual situations. if you don't, you'll find yourself at a disadvantage when the conditions do not permit a perfect left-handed mag change. the best place for mags, if you especially worried about access in the prone position, is the chest. you can reach them easily with either hand. you can put at least 2 pouches on your chest, so 4 mags right there. and if 5 mags is all you're carrying, mag changes won't be a problem for too terribly long; you'll run out of ammo before you know it.