G&S Audio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by idontgiveashit, Sep 30, 2002.

1. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

has anyone had these subs, i just got a redline 15 and it seems pretty decent. I was wondering if anyone has had good luck with these. I have the dual 1.5 VC's.

2. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

NO

run away from the products NOW

3. idontgiveashit

well, yay for me, i already bought it. Guess im stuck with it now. What do they honestly compare to.

4. 04

04 Guest

Dunno, give us a website with a picture/specs, at least something...

5. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Do you have a newer model or what ? Try to find the TS Parameters so we can get a better ideal of the subs.

Here's their homepage GS Designs

6. idontgiveashit

GSD1522 15" Subwoofer, 2X75 Oz. (150 Oz.) Magnet,
    3" Voice Coil Power Handling - 700 Watts
    closest to that one, but iwth 1.5 ohm vc's http://www.millenniumaudio.com/gs.htm
    its the GS 1522 is the closest modle, mine looks quite a bit better...its hard to find htem, ill look around and see if i can find one though.

7. idontgiveashit

about the cheapest ive found it is 250, and its 4 layer VC's

8. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Fs Hz 33.30
    Re Ohms 2.00
    Qms 4.13
    Qes 0.45
    Qts 0.40
    Cms 0.12
    Mms/gr. 187.80
    Sens. dB (1w / 1 m) 91.60
    Vas Cu.ft. 4.05
    Le mH 0.43
    Xmax mm 7.50

Found the T/S Parameters. Can someone define these for me Qes,Qts,Cms, Sen db never understood that, and Le mH :big grin:!

9. 04

04 Guest

Qes and Qts are refering to the driver's self damping. This refers to how well the driver controls itself at resonance, fs. An underdamped system will sound sloppy, because there is not enough restoring force on the system. Qes is refering to damping provided by the motor, only regarding the electrical losses, Qms is regarding the damping provided by the suspension, such as the surround and spider, and Qts is just the total driver damping. A high peak at resonance means the driver has excellent control over itself and won't ring for long, considering a free air environment (when the box comes into play, many variables need to be considered). So a cheap crappy woofer will usually have a not so big peak at its resonance, meaning the resitance to change is not so great, so it can easily ring. One with a high impedence peak means the driver isnt going to ring for long at all. A very smart guy I know wrote this, read it for more info on damping: http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pi/messages/2062.html

This is why the morons who think that putting a woofer into a tiny box will make it sound "tight" and accurate for sound qualtiy are full of shit. In a smaller box, the resonance will shift up in frequency, and the peak will decrease. The cone will ring hard and long at these frequencies, yet they think this is good for sound quality... whatever. :rolleyes:

Sensitivity at 1w/1m is refering to how much output the driver has with a 1w input, measureed one meter away from the cone, in a freespace environment (no boudry reienforcement, like walls). Sensitivity is kinda meaningless, because it will depend on the enclosure being used, frequency, and location of the enclosure. I actually think that they measure the sensitivity on a huge baffle, so the figures are inflated by 6dB, again, this depends on frequency, at high frequencies, the drop of 6dB will not happen, but that is a whole new story to tell.......... :big grin:

Le in mH is refering to the speakers inductance. Inductance is AC resistance basically, or the ratio of reactance to resistance. reactance is the amount of change you have in resistance with regards to frequency. In a speaker, the voicecoil is basically an inductor, so as frequency increases so does the resistance of the voice coil. This means that if your amp is rated at 100w into 4ohms, and the driver is 4ohms impedence, but say has a high inductance, when the frequency gets kinda high, like 2khz, the driver will not be able to be powered with 100w, because the resistance at this frequency will be much higher than 4ohms.

10. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Wow :eek: Thanks 042801. I have a better understanding of T/S Parameters and subs in general now. No one has simplified those defentions where I grasped them so easy. The more I read the more I learn :bigthumb:

11. idontgiveashit

sooooooooooo....anyone have an opinion based on the information now?

12. 04

04 Guest

Well, unfortunatly the T/S params don't always tell us how good quality the driver is. I would guess its fine, but how much did you pay for it? The linear excursion was only like 8mm one way i believe.

13. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Well since the Xmax is only 8mm would that mean the motor is small on not that powerful.

14. 04

04 Guest

:nono:

Linear excursion has nothing to do with magnetic field strength. For example, take one of the JBL pro drivers, with an xmax of 8mm. They have very high BL, yet their excursion is low. Their sensitivity however, is quite good.

Generally the drivers with more xmax tend to be less sensitive than low xmax drivers, meaning that for the same input, they have less output.

So that driver may have some advantages, however, for car subwoofers, that is QUITE low...

15. idontgiveashit