MIL G.I. Bill

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 540guy, Jun 14, 2009.

1. 540guy

540guy New Member

Quick dumb question. You pay $1200 into the G.I. bill and receive $1,3xx after your service for 36 months if you enroll fulltime in school. Now is this money to pay TUITION and book fees or to live on? How is it best to attend college after the army? Obviously somebody would need help to attend school full-time with only $13xx to live on/pay the school. Thankyou

2. c.a

c.a New Member

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

You can still use the old GI bill if you have bought into it. In some cases it is more beneficial to use it. In my case, being IL resident, I can go to school for free on the state through the IVG. The $1300+/month you get from the old GI bill is yours, for whatever. Using the new GI bill in most of the college zip codes I would be getting $900-1000/mo for the BAH. Obviously $1300 > $900.

I'd still use the new GI bill though and save my IVG for graduate school. Plus you don't have to deal with paying the tuition yourself, everything is taken care of.

4. 540guy

540guy New Member

So assuming I join, after the 4 years (and I don't die) my college tuition will be paid 100% for 36 months under the 9/11 G.I. bill and I will receive a $1200+ stipend monthly for living and $1000/year for books. That sounds pretty damn good if thats correct.....problem is I'm a chubby fucker and I'm afraid of BCT.

5. Julius

Julius Guest

yeah, fuck that. you need 36 months of service to qualify for 100% 9/11 GI bill benefits. sign a 3 year contract.

i regret not signing a 3 year contract like everyday. i would have had the same benefits and a year (maybe two!) of my life back.

6. 540guy

540guy New Member

Julius, do you mean you signed a 4+ year contract for no extra benefits ?

7. Julius

Julius Guest

i signed a four year contract for the ACF, a cut of my original bonus (i got 2k instead of 8k), which wasn't worth it at all. the post GI bill didn't exist when i came in.

8. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

its not 100% of tuition. there is a cap based on the state your school is in. generally, it'll be 100% if you go to an in-state school, or a school that will charge you resident status. if you choose to go to school outside your state of residency it will probably only cover 20-40% of the tuition cost.

9. 540guy

540guy New Member

The housing allowance offered by the 9/11 bill is is the BAH rate for an E-5 w/ dependents on your zipcode, correct? So I will be going to school (since its in my state - free) for upto 36 months fulltime while receiving $1,134 amonth check. Is that check taxed?

10. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter