MIL Future of the AirForce V. Raptor

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KUBA, Aug 27, 2006.

1. KUBA

KUBA New Member

I was watching the military channel the other day, and they said that the Raptor would probably be the last manned fighter ever made. The program said that they actually had to implement controls over the plane so that the pilot could survive the flight withough g-forces tearing him to shreds. Because the plane is so advanced that without the controls it could kill the pilot in some of the manuvers it can perform.

Do you think that the future of the AirForce is going to be totally unmanned?
    Or will we always have pilots in the high performance jets?

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

So you're saying the F-35 is going to be unmanned ??

[​IMG]

:hsugh:

3. KUBA

KUBA New Member

I'm not saying anything, im just asking the military guru's on this board for their take. I'm no expert in planes, but I thought the F-22 was still more advanced than the JSF. And im talking more about the next generation of aircraft.

There has been a steady increase in unmanned drones flying all over the place in Iraq and everywhere else. So I was just asking if the guy on tv was right and there will be a future shift to unmanned planes.

4. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I'm pretty sure the military channel has more credibility than anyone in this sub forum.

But in my own novice opinion, I think we will always have some type of manned aircraft to overcome fears of movie-goers of our own creations attacking us.

:dunno:

5. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

They're actually working on an unmanned F-35 as a tech demonstrator.

6. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

I imagine you'd first see a daisy chain headed up by a manned platform much like the model for USV/UUVs.

But yes, removing the human means to can push to airframe, plus you don't risk losing pilots at a cost of a few million each.

I'd say one of the problems would be having good enough comms and other systems to enable human oversight.

7. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

I confirm this statement.

and to the poster, the F-16 is also able to handle more than a pilot. It too is limited so as to not hurt the pilot.

8. insomnia

insomnia New Member

Many aircraft have been more than the pilot could take. In WWI and the beginning of WWII pilots would pass out in dogfights, and that was only around 5 or 6 g's I believe. After the suits started coming out (prior to the war's end) they were able to pull a few more, which obviously helped a lot in a fight. I read this in Chuck Yeager's book... in which he also says he helped invent it, but I think he's talking out of his ass :hsugh:

Back to the question though, I don't believe we'll be going to straight UAV's for at least 20-30 years, if ever. From this point in time I'm not sure if there would be any real benifit :dunno:

9. insomnia

insomnia New Member

Too bad they can't limit it enough so they don't over-g it :mad:

10. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Chuck Yeager would have been one of the people to help invent it. He, along with many other people pushed the bounds of supersonic flight as we know it out at Edwards.

11. Motá

Motá New Member

Ah yes Edwards. :hs:

12. shiba

shiba Active Member

One of the key components of air superiority is maneuverability, I would think that removing the pilot would be the next major step the US will take. It will allow the planes to perform at their peak and we would not have to risk losing pilots. I think it will probably be more like the UAV's where it is pretty much a pilot flying a big model airplane on the ground.

13. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Does anyone else have this fear for our future ??

14. insomnia

insomnia New Member

He was in europe at the time he talks about putting one together, I believe it was 43/44 :hsugh:

15. Jyokker

He was a test pilot that pushed the bounds of aviation as it was known, is it really that far fetched that he contributed to the invention?

16. EYOB

EYOB Guest

17. insomnia

insomnia New Member

He wasn't a fucking test pilot in 43, he was getting shot down in p-51's :rofl:

Chuck Yeager was my idol as a kid, I even named a pet Glennis... but I've heard a few things attributed to him that weren't true. All I said was that I thought he might be talking out of his ass.

I know late in the war g-suits started to be implimented, but didn't go full scale for years after it ended... so I have doubts that he helped create something while he was either in training or combat, it had probably been in the works for years before hand. He had no aviation career before he entered the Air Corps either.

I don't know why you're so bent on defending someone who treats enlisted like shit though :hsugh:

18. Isamu

Isamu New Member

I met him once at an air show at edwards, and he was a dick head, and i was a kid..... I think was like 10 or 11.. he was still cool for what he did, but what a dick..

Personally i think the US will develop better and better suits, that will allow pilots to take more and more abuse.. personally, as a current enlisted, but wanna be AF pilot(hopefully going to OTS after i finish my degree.. and they NEED pilots) i would much rather be in the air, actually piloting then being a desk jockey..

19. Jyokker

I was arguing to argue. :wiggle:

20. insomnia

insomnia New Member

Same here... I saw him at Oshkosh as a kid, and a chick I knew helped him at Rammstein, he was a giant dick. Still a badass though :hsd:

:mad:

21. Jyokker

A lot of times I will argue with someone and know I am wrong just to see if I can get them to doubt their stance. I'll usually just tell them I am screwing with them after they either change their stance or admit defeat.

In a public setting like this forum it doesn't work so well and I come off looking the retard I am. :wavey:

I get this one LT all the time, he never learns.

22. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

I have one sharp troop that always raises points with me for the sake of argueing. I'm left defending the AF on its policies. I know he's just argueing for the sake of it too :hs: