A&P Fusion of 3dArt and Photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jarg0n, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Jarg0n

Jarg0n New Member

Is anyone aware of references I can explore that combine 3d images or shapes (example: made in Blender of 3dsMax) and then inserted into actual photographs? I know that it's possible and I have tinkered in 3dsMax (I made a chess set once), but I know little about it.

I think the complications would arise when trying to match the lighting of the 3d object with what is in the photo.

Any reading material or references would be great.

2. Jarg0n

Jarg0n New Member

Come on. No one has ever messed with this?

3. Venthor

Venthor OT Supporter

i'm not an expert on this, but i have tried it once...

what i have seen is, that if you want to place a 3d object in a photograph or a live action footage, you first take a fully reflective ball (ping pong size) and put it in the place where the 3d object will be in the pp.

then a picture is taken of the ball to capture all the lighting information available in the scene. you then go to your 3d application and assign this picture as a texture of your lightsource and let the color/brightness information of that image light your 3d object (color for color bleeding and brightness for global illumination?)

this would be one way to do this.

the other one would be to recreate the whole scene in 3d (lighting wise).. also, you would have to pay attention to the reflections in the whole scene...

you can always go to cgtalk.com and similar sites and check out other's work plus tutorials

4. Jarg0n

Jarg0n New Member

Sweet. Thanks for the reply. Is cgtalk the only place for this or are there other good forums as well?