Fuse sizing (car audio)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GregFarz78, Feb 28, 2003.

1. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

How do I know what size fuse to use? Is there some kind of formula depending on wattage of the amps...or is it dependent on amperage draw of the amps?

2. 04

04 Guest

it depends on a lot of factors, including the amplifier design topology which will affect efficiency, duty cycle, power output, and even more.

What amp are you talking about?

I personally have an amplifier fused with 3 30a fuses, but I have a 60a fuse coming from the battery. I have never popped the fuse. It is better to use a smaller rated fuse than a larger one. Unless maybe you are using some of those name brand 10 dollar a pop fuses :ugh:

3. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

alpine mrv-340 and mrd-500 dont know off hand what the fuse ratings of the amps are they should be delivered next week. A buddy of mine is running an infinity basslink he was wondering what size fuse he needs, I told him 40A should be plenty...no?

4. 04

04 Guest

For your buddy, 40amps should be plenty. I would worry about the fuses when your amps come next week. Get the same fuse size that the amplifier has, that is the best way to do it.

5. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

ive been told that its a good rule of thumb is that if your amp is 600 watts use a 60 amp. or 1000watts then a 100amp.

6. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

My 1100d's manual says to use a fuse that is 5-10 amps more than the size of the fuse on the amps (2x40=80 so like a 90 amp fuse at the battery)

other than that, I would think that you would want a fuse that is a tad over the max amperage draw of your amplifier...

7. 04

04 Guest

That method wouldnt work very well because you don't know the amplifier efficiency.

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

teh best way is to simply add up all of your fuses and buy one that size but teh 10 rule does work prettyw ell as long as you dont have a grossly inffecnt amp or a verry underated amp