MIL Funny story

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZaC851, May 23, 2007.

1. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

I don't think I have ever told this story here before but I figured you guys would get a laugh out of it. ABout a year and half ago when I was a Cpl I got voluntold that I would be on the colors detail that raises and lowers the flag every moning. This would not have been so bad if it was for say..a week...but it last all damn month, 7 days a week, so it really cut into your schedule and was impossible to plan anything for that month. Anyway, There was 4 of us assigned to it and 5 minutes before colors played, we marched out there in a formation and all placed ourselves on 4 sides if the flag pole. Before we started our detail at the beginning of the month we practiced since we all had different movements to execute. In my posistion, in the morning time I didnt really do anything other than stand there..the guy to my left, hooked it up....the guy on the other side of the pole raised it really quickly and the guy to my right rang the bell right before colors...in the afternoon, I slowly lowered it while the guy to the left caught it before hitting the ground..anyway thats not part of the story..

So as I was saying, About middle of the month on a sunday, The guy who hooks it up in the monring time, had a family issue and could not be there one morning. The night before, he had to find someone to fill his spot. This new guy came and had never done it before so we briefly explained to him what he had to do. This apparently wasnt enough. We marched out there in formation and all 4 got lined up around the pole and proceeded to hook the flag up. One hook goes on the bottom, and one hook goes on the top. So after it was hooked up....The roadguards stopped traffic and colors was about to start...as it started playing...the guy started quickly raising it.....This was the big ass Garrison flag with it being a sunday....we got it all the way up..we heard someone on the street in there vehicle yell. "its upside down dumbass" At first I thought it was some kinda joke...as I slowly glanced staight up..sure it enough, that big ass flag was flying upside down. :o I can say without a doubt this was probably the most embarrasing moment in my time in so far. The wind was blowing pretty hard that day and its the biggest pain in the ass to catch the flag without it touching the ground and then to top it off we had to flip it over and run it back up... your suppose to run another one up the other side of the pole before bringing the other one down but we only had 1 garrison flag so that wasnt an option. After we flipped it and were done, we proceeded to get yelled at by the Officer on duty.... :o Definetly a embarrasing day..

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

3. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

:rofl:

folding that giant flag is a giant pain as well

4. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

Hah. We the MP's do it on base everyday/night. we dont have a special detail that does it besides us. I can recall once when they ran the flag upside down. I hate putting up the garrison flag, that thing is a bitch.