funkyted's log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by funkyted, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkyted

funkyted Wooo College! No Parents!

my current plan which is open to suggestion, i'm going to finish this week off and then look through some sites and try to start a new workout plan next monday

i'm a track and field athlete looking to compete in the decathlon this year so basically i need lots of strength and speed, everywhere

heres what i'm doing this week though

Monday
    each set done 3 x with 10 reps with increasing weight each set
    bench
    dumbbell lunge
    dumbbell shoulder press
    dumbbell tricep extension

Tuesday
    some sort of sprinting workout like say 10 x 100 or 8 x 200, it varies

Wednesday
    squat
    dips
    calf raise
    hammer curls

Thursday
    another spring workout variation

Friday
    incline bench
    leg extension
    lat pulldown or just pullups
    rear delt flyes

each day i also do my own variation of 7 minute abs at the end

any suggestions or comment would be fine

2. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

If you are working for speed/power, I would really consider trying to get some coaching in Olympic lifting, it is by far the best thing I have done for explosiveness.

3. funkyted

what is olympic lifting or could you point to somewhere to find out about it

4. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-olympic-lifting.asp

however, i really, really reccomend finding a coach or even someone who is pretty comptetent. I did it for a while after watching some vids online, i'm amazed i didnt kill myself. In the mean time, power cleans are a staple of speed/ power atheletes training, they are pretty easy to do. Also, check out elitefts.com and i would look up the parisi speed school, they are pretty good.

5. funkyted

I didn't want to start a new training log cause there is really no need. So here is my deal. I'm a pole vaulter (college division 3) trying to make a return after 2 bad seasons and some injuries. My team just finished up pre-season and so here is the workout we've been doing for the last few weeks. We got it from a personal trainer that works for our team. The original plan had the exercises and number of sets and reps already determind for us each week, I varied a little bit on it (only on the cleans really), but not much.

I like the personal trainer our coach hired for us and he's done some good stuff for us so I don't not like the workout plan I just want to see what you guys think about it.

I did a lot of running with the team and such before the workouts so I only kept track of the lifting.

I injured my shoulder over the summer so I have been rehabbing that separately and was only about a month ago allowed to finally do any overhead exercise. That's why the lack of pull-ups, jerks, or latpulldown.
    I'm working my way back now with that and some real light weight stuff.

Pictured below is the excel right up of what I did the last 5 weeks or so.
    A '0' means i did the exercise just with no weight, nothing in the cell means i didn't do the exercise that day either because of time or because of something we did at practice that day that left that muscle already tired enough.
    [​IMG]

The only questions I would have is for a guy who is trying to lose around 20 lbs and gain more speed and quickness what things should i add to my workout or take away.
    In terms of the losing weight, I'm eating low carb and eating healthier and running lots of short sprints.

I expect our trainer to be in this week with a new workout for us since now that practice officially starts we can see him again and since our previous only went up until last week. Anything he gives us though I'm always looking to add to it or try some things different, I know he wont mind too much.

Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.