full time work crew

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by steviebeast, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steviebeast

steviebeast OT Supporter

I have been working full time for about a month now and my lifting has severely suffered. I try to get about 8 hours of sleep per night, but by the time I hit the gym after work, I feel like shit. If anybody has any tips on how they deal with the grind I would love to hear it. Also, I wouldnt mind some recommendations on healthy ways to consume caffeine throughout the day because I currently don't drink any at all.

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

prepare all your meals on the weekends and cut out shit like TV/etc

3. Canuckistan

Canuckistan New Member

I work 45-50 hour weeks in construction, then workout and then eat dinner.

Needless to say i get 5-7 hours a sleep a night...7 hasn't happend it a long time on a weekday :(

4. steviebeast

steviebeast OT Supporter

what do you guys drink during the day for energy, and does caffeine have negative side effects when consumed in moderation?

5. Canuckistan

Canuckistan New Member

I drink a shit load of water...I dont really need energy, i am constantly busy so i never get bored and im used to it.

6. Drewski

Drewski New Member

I'm pulling 50-54hrs a week. I find water all day, caffeine before working out, have gatorade in my pre-workout shake help. Idon't get neough sleep though6-7 a night

7. meervincent

meervincent New Member

i work full time in an oil change shop so im on my feet moving all day. i just eat a decent amounbt of food every 3-4 hours and try to keep it as clean as i can. i have a small cup of weak coffee with lots of cream in the morning then agian in the afternoon. i sleep about 7-8 hours a nigt and lift almost every day. i found that after a month of telling yourself you have to do it then it just becomes natural.

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

not full time, but just finished my first week of working in a wharehouse 5 hours a day M-F.

Some of the time I'm lifting shit, the rest of the time I'm on my feet. After work I usually melt into the seat of my car, drive home, and sit on my ass for a few hours. By the end of that, my body is ready to work out, but then I'm mentally tired.

Sucks, but you gotta work through it I suppose.

personally at past full time jobs I've felt caffiene has made me crash later on, so I try to avoid it. Eating regularly and drinking water as suggested works great.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
  9. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Are you seriously saying its hard to work 25hrs in a warehouse a week?

10. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Word..

Similiar schedule, but I don't work construction... 8-10 hour days.. then an hour in the gym, then dinner with the family.. There's rarely any TV..

My main goal is 8 hours of sleep, but never happens. 6 typically.

11. Canuckistan

Canuckistan New Member

Yeah, my TV time is very limited..if im online im wathcing TV, thats about it. I also need to try and see the SO daily.

12. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

I worked 10-14 hours at a large oilfield equipment service and repair shop, and made some of the best gains of my life a few summers ago. I was consuming ALOT iof food, I think that is most important.

13. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

You'll get use to it. I was spent after 8-10hrs of work and going to the gym my first 2 or so months but now I'm use to it. Sometimes I even sneak out for a "long lunch" and hit up the gym then go back to work.

14. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

just cut out the crap, you'll have time. i work 30 hrs a week and am a full-time student and i still manage. i don't drink caffeine, just make sure you eat a good breakfast and eat alot throughout the day to keep your energy up.

my job is low energy though, i'm a programmer/IT guy just sitting at a desk all day; and i'm a computer science major so just more of the same; although i'm thinking about adding a weightlifting class. it's only 1 credit but i'll get my lifting done before I even leave school. sounds like a good idea.

15. steviebeast

steviebeast OT Supporter

I was thinking of doing this as well because we have a gym in our warehouse. It will probably help me get through the day with a bit more energy.

16. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

weakminded.

17. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

since i started working full time (beg of january) i started my workouts on saturday + sunday then tuesday/wednesday. starting on the weekends eliminated two "work" days.

18. steviebeast

steviebeast OT Supporter

sorry filmy

19. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i work out on my lunch hour when i'm working during the day... when i'm on night shift, i just make sure i get to the gym with enough time to get a decent workout in before i have to start the shift

20. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

I cardio everyday except leg day at 5am, work from 0730-1930, lift for an hour, go to sleep.

Of course I have no life when I'm working either.. but the bottom line is there is time if you make time.

And if you feel like shit and are tired after work, you'll feel fine after you get a couple of sets in, and rejuvinated after your workout is over; you just have to pull up your skirt and get into the gym.

21. wired3758

wired3758 New Member

that's it. i've got a program going and i have to do that days sets. i might take a bit longer between sets, but most days are great. i know i need to be in the gym after work, so the body gets used to the routine.

22. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

You just have to make time for it and try to schedule everything so that you can get it all in. Be flexible and don't give up every day things that you need (going to the grocery store, dry cleaning, etc). You'll learn to balance it all in a little bit. You'll know soon how much is too much, and learn to do some lifting on the weekend. I lift 3 days a week and roll around in BJJ 2. You'll find out real quick what's killing you.

23. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

I work 8.5 hours everyday, mon-fri. I train like a fucking maniac!! If you don't believe me then go look at my logs. I don't take any stimulants just to stay awake or whatever at work. I save that for working out. Right now I like amp and redline. Once you make training your way of life it will become automatic.

24. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Word.. same here..

25. jonno

jonno New Member

i work full time. it's easy now because i'm cutting so i dont have to eat alot of meals. i can see how it would get difficult when bulking.

as far as going to the gym goes, i dont have a problem with lifting after a 10 hour day. doesnt bother me. it's a huge stress reliever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.