GUN Full size or compact?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sportec17, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

Well I've always been active in target shooting and hunting, but most of it with rifles. Lately I've been doing a lot of pistol shooting with S&W .22 of mine and P85...which is a POS. I really want to get into something thats better quality and more enjoyable to shoot than Ruger. My question is two part; I have an idea on what guns i'm interested in but could deffinately use some suggestions(DO NOT SAY GLOCK, nothing against them but the grip angle is extremely unnatural for me), the other thing is i'm not sure about full size or compact? Is the accuracy that much different? This will most likely be just a target for the next year or so, but i good chance it could become a CCW after that. As of right now i'm looking at either an XD9 in either 4"/5", or a H&K USP full size or compact. I know there's a big price gap between those two, but i love Hk's and might be willing to spend the extra cash for one. So my price range is either $500 new/used or a USP. And the biggest selling point for me is a smooth soft trigger...i can't stand long or overly stiff pulls.

Also if someone could explain all the actions to me that would be a big help, reading H&K's nine variants somewhat confused me.

Some of the other guns i've looked at felt good:
    Walter P99-felt ok
    Baby Eagle-?
    CZ in 9mm-heard mixed opinions
    Beretta 92fs-felt good but didn't really like it
    P2000-even more $ than USP

2. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

sig p239

3. Otsego Hive

Otsego Hive Wait, what? We're being swapped?

i'm more partial to compact. I know you said no glock, but I like the glock 19 & 23 (same size, one's in 9mm the other's a .40). They're just great guns for the price. I've fired a baby eagle, I liked it. I'm also looking at the kahr p9 or p40. Everything i've heard about the kahr's been a positive, and it's ideal for carry due to it's size and weight

4. eh_D

eh_D 0.13 posts per day

Look at a Smith & Wesson SW99, I handled one at a gun show a week ago and it was very impressive. I'm pretty sure they are the same as the Walther p99.

If you get a chance, shoot as many different guns as you can before you buy.

5. Otsego Hive

Otsego Hive Wait, what? We're being swapped?

I'd avoid both of these. S&W automatics aren't the best in terms of quality. and the new Walther's are somehow related to S&W, although i can't remember but i'm pretty sure that s&w makes the new walthers. That would explain some things, i've already heard a lot of people having issues with walther's lacking in durability

6. eh_D

eh_D 0.13 posts per day

Actually I've heard the opposite about those guns. I don't know the specifics, but the SW99 and the P99 are related and have a great reputation.

I wouldn't buy any autoloader from S&W other than their 1911 or the SW99.

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

The P99 is 100% German made. If you hear of reliability issues it's going to be a 40 which is SW made. SW imports for Walther

8. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

Thanks for the replies, hopefully i'll get a chance to visit a gun range sometime next time next weekend...closest one is an hour away. From what i've read it looks like i should give the P99 a try. I still don't know if i can justify the price but i want an HK really bad. I saw a used one for around $630 last week, i might go take another look at it. No comments on the XD? Good or bad i could use some insight on this gun in 4"/5".
    About the 1911's, i haven't really looked that closely at that style...how to they compare to the more modern styled pistols?

9. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I have an XD-40 4" Service model, very solid gun, I put it head to head with a Glock23 and it was about equal. I paid $439 for mine so its a very affordable gun that is well worth the money

10. Platinum_Thunder

HK is kinda meh. Trigger is really bouncy.

11. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

If you find the normal HK trigger bouncy you should try their match triggers, most commonly found on the USP tactical or the USP matches. I've found them to be alot nicer overall.

12. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

I just visited my local gun dealer/gunsmith and after holding an XD in my hands again I think I'll probably end up going with this gun. He's got it listed for $430, and while I know I a place I can order an XD for around $385 unshipped, one shipping almost would put me at his price and also he's been a big help to me and my Dad in the past so I'd like to buy from him. There's still a chance I could end up with a P99/SW99 but i doubt. I was looking at the XD forums last night and it seems there's a guy who does trigger work for reasonable prices, which would be money well spent to have a 4-5 lb pull and shortened reset. Whatever I end up with I'll let you guys know how I like it. -John

13. Platinum_Thunder

why would I waste my money on a DA 'match'

14. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

Just thought I'd post an update here...

So I go down to the gun shop with my dad and after he takes a look at the XD he says are you serious, i thought you wanted a target gun(<condensed version). So after much disscusion we settled on a black Beretta 92FS for $569. He said i could still get the XD if i really wanted it but he'd perfer me getting the Beretta; at first i was a little upset with the idea but i think this was actually a MUCH better choice for me...and just in general. My dad is not a fan of assault rifles/pistols, which is why he didn't like the xd, that and that it was only a 4"...i know they make it in a 5". Anyways now i just have to wait until christmast to shoot it. Yes, i am spoiled but i am paying for half of it, my own choice.

15. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

assault pistol, wtf? so your dad didnt get the xd because of its looks?

16. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

I still could have chosen the xd, he just preferred me having something that wasn't designed to be, or look like, solely a compact self defense weapon. This was only one of many things he didn't like about the xd, i can list them if it would make you feel better.

17. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Yes, please list them.

18. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Because its not a DAO, its a SA/DA (not to mention it drops the weight in DA) And you shouldn't knock the HK match triggers until you at least try one out. Its definately not a nice custom tuned 1911 trigger, but HK does have the ability to make a pretty decent trigger. Which is widely seen on the P7 series and on the P9 Target series; actually the P9 target series are still highly coveted by target shooters, the only reason you don't see too many professional target shooters using them is that HK no longer produces them and doesn't bother marketing them. Hence no money to be made by the shooters. Otherwise for a factory setup gun its still hard to beat the P9, and it was introduced over 30 years ago.

Parents who buy their kids guns as presents are :cool: , I wished my parents would have helped me out when I was younger with any of my hobbies. Its really personal preference between majority of the modern handguns, I'm sure you'll enjoy the beretta just as much if not more so than the XD. You know the next accessory you should buy for your beretta should be a nice suppressor and thats definately something that would make that purchase of a beretta the correct decision. Because they do suppress well, I've had a few mag related problems with feeding because of the suppressor but once I worked them out it runs like a champ.

19. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

20. murph38_99

murph38_99 OG Silver Member

in for da list

21. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

Alright, this isn't in order of importance but her ya go...

-For a dedicated target gun,(i know i said there was a chance of CCW, etc.) 5">4"
    -Next he prefers me have a DA/SA because having a hammer is better visible safety feature than a little indicator pin.
    -The trigger pull was also a big deciding factor, the Beretta had a smooth short trigger pull that was decently soft; the XD was too far off in pull(lbs), but was noticably more gritty.
    -Resale: Beretta is a well know name and also the 92fs has been the standard issue pistol for quite a few years now, the xd hasn't been around very long.
    -As for appearance it doesn't really matter to me, but my dad doesn't like the negative attention that shooters/hunters get from assault type/looking weapons and there for doesn't like them. His call not mine.

22. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

XD is a great gun, I love mine

23. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

How do I find myself defending the XD???

- For a target gun only I'll agree with you.
    - What does an exposed hammer tell you about a pistol's safety?
    - The DA trigger pull on a 92fs is loooooonnnnnnnggggg. But you'll probably bypass that and shoot it SA.
    - Resale? I don't sell guns.
    - So now we have assault pistols? That rules! Your dad would rather you had the pistol that the US currently issues to troops? It's a weapon of war. His logic escapes me.

I don't really care. The choice is yours (or your dad's). I just wanted to know the reasons.