Full Disclosure: Macbook Pro in for Service for 4th Time

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

In the interest of full disclosure and decency... I must inform you all that my Macbook Pro is currently in for its 4th (3rd paid at $310 a pop) repair. Granted, I literally wear the paint off the keys and its running two databases all day but... yeah. My dog kept slapping the screen shut wanting me to play ball-ball and it finally just died. Dunno if that did it or not but it froze and won't boot past the noise/grey screen.

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

When I bought an iBook G4 years ago, it had tons of problems... shipped with faulty memory, and was just slow in general... sorry to see Apple hasn't improved since then :hs:

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I had an iBook G4 and... I dropped it from 4-5 feet 3 times, once onto concrete and... never had a problem. Didn't even reboot 2 out of 3 times. It even worked after my wife finally broke the screen. Those were tougher.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

MacBooks have become too much of a lifestyle product. One of my coworkers' sons got a $3000 MBP a few months ago, and the keys 1-8 didn't work all the time, and he banged it against the edge of his desk once and cracked the screen in half. I was there, I saw it, he didn't hit it very hard.

Apple can't afford to assume that everyone who uses their products is a soft-handed cashmere-wearing metrosexual if they're going to keep advertising to the masses; some people do actually go outside and/or take their machines to work on occasion, and the MBPs I've seen just aren't built for that.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I dunno what to say. I'm disgusted, but... what am I gonna do, get a PC? I need OS X for a desktop/notebook OS... Ubuntu drives me fucking crazy because nothing works just so and I need Office. I can't work without a *nix notebook.

I got plastic snap-on armor for it... and... it will probably break again. Then I'll get a new one or something.

6. deusexaethera

Does anyone make rubber armor, like what's on Toughbooks?

7. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

in interest of full disclosure i should probably alert C&P that my Dell laptop is coming up on 2 years old and all i've had to do is replace the battery recently.

p.s. i carry it in my bag to school and work everyday as well.

8. deusexaethera

Oh yeah? How's the hinge doing? Got any dust behind the screen? How about the touchpad buttons, are those working well?

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

No. I think its a heat issue. Although you would think they could still line plastic with rubber or something. All I could find was a plastic shell.

10. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

fine, no, and yes. why do you ask? honestly the only noticeable difference is that the finish has been rubbed somewhat smoother where my palms rest on it.

11. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Ugh seems like apple laptops last 2 years plus or minus a few months. My old titanium powerbook had its battery go completely unusable and logic board die after a little over 2 years. My 1.33ghz ibook g4 died RIGHT AT 2 years (with in 3 days) due to logic board failure. Now my macbook is 2 years old and the cd drive is shot... im fretting that something else is gonna break. I shoulda learned and bought apple care after the first two times.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah... Applecare is NOT optional. You have to add it to the price. And don't try to be sneaky and fucking wait until the year warranty is almost up to get 4 years of coverage. Just buy that shit.

The repair was completed. Hopefully it will just be the $310 for diagnosis/depot repair. It is being shipped back.

13. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

when i got my c2d white 2ghz macbook a couple of years ago, out of the box it had a display problem. it would show flickering pixels sometimes on the screen. i couldn't bring it into the apple store because i could not always reproduce the problem. 3 days after opening the box, i called apple and told them whats up. they sent me out a box and i shipped it in for repair.

it took 2 weeks to repair because they did not know what was wrong. they even had engineering looking at it. turns out it was a faulty video/isight cable. once they figured that out, it took additional days because they had none of these cables in stock, because they had never seen a problem like this before. finally i got it back

only other problem i had with my macbook is that it wasn't ejecting discs properly. i used to have to rotate it 45 degrees for it to eject. i brought it to the apple store and they found that the opening had been bent - my fault, but they still fixed it. all they did was bend it back into shape

i might have to buy a new battery for my macbook, even though it still shows 100/99% in coconut battery. thats about it, i'm pretty happy. i have another year left of applecare

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I keep mine hot as fuck at all times... I wonder if that is the issue?

15. deusexaethera

I ask because every Dell I've seen has developed a loose hinge, has dust behind the screen, and has needed the touchpad and/or keyboard replaced at least once.

16. deusexaethera

You know, all the Lenovos I've seen have needed new batteries after 3 years or so, and nothing else.

Well...one of them had a CD drive fail.

17. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Both seem to be common laptop issues. Battery should be expected. I am kinda disapointed my cd drive took a shit... but i very rarely use it, just makes reformatting/OS installs a PITA.

18. deusexaethera

Batteries always wear out over time, there's no avoiding it. That being said, if you don't let your battery go dead and don't leave it plugged in constantly, it'll last a lot longer.

I don't know why CD drives fail -- maybe because of dust contamination or something -- but at least on a Lenovo I can replace it myself.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Wait, leaving it plugged in constantly will make it live longer, or letting it rundown will make it live longer?

Parse error.

20. deusexaethera

Charge it fully, then unplug it. When it gets to 10% or thereabouts, plug it back in. Repeat as necessary. Don't run it dry, don't charge it constantly.

Interestingly, newer Lenovos come with battery-management software that will automatically cycle the battery if you tell it that it's going to sit on a desk most of its life.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Why should that crap be needed with Lithium Ion?

22. deusexaethera

Because Li-Ion batteries are still powered by chemical reactions. The electrolyte in Li-Ion batteries will crystallize (slowly) if the reaction runs too far, and eventually those crystals will connect to each other and connect the terminals to each other. (In nickel-based batteries, it's usually the recharging, not discharging, that causes these kinds of crystals to grow.)

The most spectacular result of this is what happened with the exploding-battery scare a year ago -- if the materials aren't high-quality enough, the crystals can develop so fast and conduct so much electricity as the shorts allow the reaction to runaway that the batteries overheat, leak, and catch fire. In most cases, though, the crystals just present a slow, constant drain that gets larger as time goes by, and since they're conductive, they also inhibit the battery's ability to recharge.

23. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

My XPS M1210 is coming up on 3 years next month. Zero issues... Just a little wear mark on the left mouse button.

I got a letter from Dell saying I could extend my warranty 3 more years for $350... I don't think so...

24. deusexaethera

If you don't renew, Dell will send a command to the detonator inside your motherboard! :noes:

25. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I hope not... I've used this machine hard about 8 hours a day and it hasn't failed me... At this point, if something happened I would just buy another machine, well at least after next month ;)