Fuel Additives

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by lawnboy, Jan 14, 2007.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

Are some of those additives that you add after a tank of gas working well for you guys? I own a 98 lincoln navigator 4x4 w/ the sohc 5.4 w/ 92,000 miles on it and I'm looking for ANYTHING that will help prolong the engine's life and give me better gas mileage.

Also, what are some good, cheaper open element intakes availible? I don't feel like spending $250 on a K&N fipk

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the intakes will hurt performance and could reduce longevity of the engine.

And the additives have been demonstrated to never help performance, and in some cases hurt it.

3. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

so any mod to a 5.4 will cause it to lose power? :eek3:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

first of all, fuel additives are not a mod. And they are well-documented as being useless, at best, and harmful in some areas.

Secondly, an intake just isn't gonna help an otherwise stock engine! Think about it. An engine is an air pump... But a naturally-aspirated engine can only intake a given volume of air (it's displacement). Stock intakes are capable of providing that airflow... So a new intake isn't going to improve airflow. However, open-element filters such as the K&N have a higher average temperature. Higher temperature reduces air density. Since the motor is still only taking in it's displacement in air, the volume pre-intake and post-intake is the same. However, since the density is less post-intake the power potential is LESS with the intake.

Some mods help. A supercharger, for example, is one of em. However, just swapping out the filter isn't gonna give you shit.

5. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

SeaFoam

half a can in the gas, half a can in the oil (2 days before an oil change) twice a year.

best. thing. ever.