Fucking Routers!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drew, Feb 7, 2006.

1. drew

drew New Member

im getting royally pissed off with linksys and netgear. wireless connections are constantly dropped and i get switched over to a different network, it does that every 5 minutes or so. ive gone through 2 or 3 netgears and 3 linksys routers, several of them were returned to the manufacturer and i got new ones. my parents keep calling me saying they have to constantly unplug and plug in the linksys wireless router i put in for them because the internet stops working (no wireless, just ethernet cables). ive tried firmware upgrades and factory default resets but nothing fucking works. what the fuck is going on. yesterday after a month of using my router (linksys wrt54g v2), the wireless stopped working. i upgraded the firmware and now it connects, but gets dropped and get switched over to a different network every 2-3 minutes. the cat5 works fine though. is this some kind of corporate joke that im not supposed to get? do i really have to drop 400 bucks on a cisco router

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. Get a D-Link router. They're the easiest brand to use, in my opinion, if you're only running a simple home network.

2. Switch the broadcast channel on the router until you find one that isn't being occupied by your neighbors.

3. Buy a longer antenna from RadioShack. It'll keep the signal from crapping out.

4. Try using Static DHCP on the router. Static DHCP tells the router to always give every computer the same network address. You set this up by running "ipconfig /all" on each computer in your house, writing down the MAC address (it looks like XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX), programming it into the router, and giving each entry a unique IP address. DO NOT use IP addresses between 100-199, because those are reserved for computers that don't get to keep their addresses forever.

EDIT: I've heard some people say that Universal Plug 'N Play causes problems with routers. You might want to try turning that off at the router as well.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Did you consider it may be the NIC cards, not the routers? I tossed a bunch of Broadcom based cards (WMP54G V2's and a Moto) cards because they would drop constantly, while everything else stayed up.

4. deusexaethera

The determining factor would be whether EVERYBODY's internet fails at the same time, or whether it's just a single computer that loses its connection. If they all drop at once, it's the router. If they drop one by one, it could still be the router, but it would be a software/config issue then.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, but that can be hard to tell unless you are monitoring all the machines at the same time. You also have to take into consideration that it could be a specific traffic pattern causing the drops, or outside interference (2.4Ghz phones are notorious for taking down entire SOHO WiFi networks) that a particular card is sensitive to. That was a problem I had. My bad cards would all go offline around the same time. Many times I had to go into the properties of the card and change a property to force it to reset the card in order to get it to connect again. Tried 3 different routers, all the same. Replaced the cards and all is well.

6. drew

drew New Member

just called up dell. they concluded that its a problem with my router, not the wireless NIC. i reinstalled the nic's driver and reset the router to default settings. the router has the latest firmware update from linksys. as of now its working...its sitting on a shelf above my desk (only about 3-4 feet away) but the signal strength fluctuates back and forth. at first it was at "good" and speed was at about 24mbps. i would think it would be steady at excellent considering it is so close. anybody know any tricks to solve this?

7. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

anything that uses some kind of wireless transfer can affect the signal from your router... especially 2.4ghz cordless phones try changing the channel until it works fine as stated earlier

8. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

soo return the router....
    get a new one

9. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Or, if you're just working at home, get a wired router (or several of them daisy chained), and run drops to wherever you're most likely to use a computer.

(I despise wireless)

10. deusexaethera

I recommend just buying a high-gain antenna from RadioShack. The idea is that if other devices are yelling, make your WiFi yell even louder.

11. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

Drew...did u have an account on the G4 Forums called "DrewsWorld"?