A&P Fucking hell 300d prob

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Memopad, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

So a whole bunch of the photos i've been taking have come out underexposed. I've done this for years, seems like i've especially began to notice it more the past few months. Yesterday i did mostly long exposure work with some neutral density filters in the morning, and the underexposure was at an entirely new level. I thought it was me, i thought i just sucked that much.

But NO! Its my fucking camera. I discovered today playing with my new (awesome) ND1000 filter, that the exposure changes as i move my eye away from the eyepiece. WTF!??! Somehow light is leaking through my eyepiece viewfinder into the camera, and screwing with the internal light meter. For normal quick exposures it wasn't noticible, or at night when it was black outside. But my daytime long exposures set it off, especially since i'm using a tripod and moving away from the camera before taking the photo.

Just today i noticed the exposure going from 2.5 seconds when i was away from the eyepiece, to 20-30 seconds when i covered it up with my eye or my finger, big freaking difference! I've never heard of this problem, and don't really know what to do about it. There aren't exactly alot of camera stores in BFE where i live.

Sorry for long post, i copy/pasted from my dA page. Read the last paragraph i guess for cliffs. Anyone have any ideas?

2. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

it's what that rubber piece on your strap is for

to block the eyepiece

3. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

Are you serious? For some reason i thought light from the eyepiece couldn't affect the light meter under normal conditions....

So my camera isn't fucked, i'm just a noob? :bowdown:

4. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

Dawt.

Cover your eyepiece with the provided cap, or use some tape.

I've found that it's too much of a pita to use the provided cover clip. Take some scotch tape and a piece of thin cardboard and make a 'flap'.

5. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

Thanks for the help :cool:

6. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes. Youre just a noob. Its only funny because of how heated you got about it. If you bothered to read the manual it mentions this.

The MkIII also even has an eyepiece shutter that you can close internally to block light from getting into the camera.

7. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

:eek3: i thought i was the only one with a 300d

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

9. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

I've still got mine laying around somewhere....